Monday, December 04, 2006

Our Weekend Wrap Up

One and a half hours drive south of Cairns, in the beautiful blue waters off Mission Beach, lies Dunk Island. Dunk Island is one of those tropical islands you only dream about and I have been since I was eight years old. Repeat. Eight years old. I'm now 33.

I actually never thought I would be fortunate enough to visit, let alone stay there but when the opportunity arose, well, Lyndon grabbed it with both hands.

Lyndon's work Christmas Party was to be held for a night on Dunk Island, all expenses paid. We were actually given the opportunity to stay an extra night at the exclusive resort, at a reduced price, because we are a family unit. (Only families with young children were offered this - how lucky were we?)
We caught the Water Taxi from Mission Beach and a quick 20 minutes later we were standing on Dunk Island. A tropical island with swaying palms, sandy beaches with lots (& lots) of swept in coral from the Reef.

The resort was fabulous, with 2 large swimming pools (one had 3 layers), a huge undercover Bar Lounge and Restaurant with deck. Lots of activities to be done too, including horse riding and water activities. Our room was nice, though the walls were a little on the thin side (we could hear the baby next door screaming at 4 am in the morning).

On the Saturday afternoon, the children had their own Christmas party which included a visit from the big man in red. Monet was actually really excited and cheered him on. Too cute.

Monet was rapt to receive a character from her favourite show 'Hi-5', a puppet called Jup Jup. She even thanked Santa a little later on for getting her Jup Jup. She makes me proud sometimes.
The children even had a full-on dinner which was pretty hilarious! I don't think Monet has ever seen a full-on chicken breast on a bed of chips and salad before. It was a huge meal for a little kid. This was followed by a dessert of ice-cream, marshmallows and a decorated ice cream cone, presented upside down so it looked like a Christmas tree. Not only were the kids impressed with this but you should've seen the parents!!

We had a babysitter for the night, our first time she had been left with someone not related. Admittedly she was fast asleep when I left her, but she was a perfectly behaved child who slept the night through without waking. Phew.

The adults Christmas party was held around the front pool with lovely set-up tables and the full bar on offer. The smorgasbord food on offer was wonderful and oh-so delicious. Mmmm....

We spent yesterday in the pool where Monet had a terrific time jumping up and down and pretending she was a Kangaroo. It was very funny.
All up we had such a wonderful time in paradise. It was sooooo relaxing and very indulgent. I seriously can't wait to return to this tropical getaway and feel so lucky to have spent a few days there....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's fabulous ! Lucky you !!

:))

Marie said...

Hey! My comment vanished!!

This sounds & looks wonderful!!!

Melody said...

H&B, Marie - Yes, both fabulous and wonderful!

Star said...

It looks amazing. Glad you all got to go and have fun. I would like to visit it someday.

Anonymous said...

Oh man am I jealous. That is AWESOME! And how cool for Monet too. She got to see Santa and everything. Lyndon's company rocks.