Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Sugarworld

Lyndon and I decided on Saturday morning to head to Sugarworld, 15 kilometers down the road. Sugarworld (click here is see web page)is a 'water park' and only opened on weekends, public and school holidays. It is a pity that it isn't opened normally during the week, when it's not school holidays, because I'm quite sure then it would have been a bit more enjoyable and not so busy. Not so busy in terms of young teenage boys...

Monet was free to enter (being under 3), whilst I was $3 and Lyndon was $9, as he wanted to go on the water slides. (There are 5 big water slides there.) It was pretty good value for money, but I swear most of the children there were left unattended, probably dropped off at the door and told that they'll be picked up later in the day. The only parents that seemed to be there were ones with younger children and a few 'tourists'. There seemed to be 100's of kids.

Monet enjoyed the two little pools there, designed for younger kids (pity there were some of those unsupervised teenage boys in the pool too!) and especially enjoyed the little slide that slid her into the water, under the watchful eye of her parents.

Lyndon was itching to use the water slides and so off he went. Monet and I watched at the foot of one of the slides to see him enter the water out of the tunnel. There were other parents taking their 'littlies' on the slides so Lyndon took Monet up with him, to go on the slide, named 'The Cyclone'. You would think with a name like that it was probably the fastest of the 5 slides, but it was actually the slowest!!

Apparently in the long tunnel you are in, that takes you back down into the exiting pool, Monet sat very quietly on Lyndon's lap, gripping. We came to the conclusion she was probably terrified. Lyndon said there were lots of screaming in the tunnels and it was pitch black. I was glad I got a photo of them exiting... Monet was not keen on having another go. We've scared her for life. Poor little button.

The trouble with the water slides was that hardly anyone obeys the 10 second rule. ie. waiting for 10 seconds after someone has disappeared down one of the water slides. Lyndon said everyone was piling in, one after the after. There were only a few 'workers' supervising the water slides but not telling people to obey the rules, which were clearly marked on banners.

We were there for an hour. That was enough.

We're in no hurry to return. The only reason we'd go back is that the Hot Dogs were absolutely delicious! *grin*

4 comments:

Bobkat said...

It sounds like it could be a fun place if it was properly supervised and not so busy (i.e. not so many unsupervised teenage boys).

Good job the hot dogs were good!

Anonymous said...

I don't like older kids in the young kiddie's pool nor do I like it when they go too soon down the slide and hit you as you exit the water!
How do you guys go for such a cheap amount? Waterparks here are outrageously expensive. For a child it would be about $30/day.
Again I am so jealous that you still enjoy sunshine and warm weather all the time!

Melody said...

Bob-Kat - yes, if it was supervised I'm sure it would be more enjoyeable for everyone involved. There is soooo much vacant land around Sugarworld, I suggest they build a bigger pool for bigger kids. (Or as Lyndon said, a pool speficially for teenage boys!)

Deana - Yeah, it was relatively inexpensive to enter. Less than $10 Aussie dollars to use the water slides all day. However, I know down at the Gold Coast (about 1500ks south of here) with the BIG waterpark, you're looking at like $40-$50 for a daily pass. But they look so much more fun and supervised!!! I guess Sugarworld is cheap because they have low staff numbers.

LBA said...

That's a real bummer. I also like the mid-week type places as I get to avoid al the unsupervised drop-kick kiddies of others more interested in lattes and blind-eyes.

I hope you told those boys off though. I *hate* older kids in baby areas. Grr

The fact that you were only htere for an hour says it all.

I'd write to management. More supervision on the rides especially - that is dangerous !!

Despite all this, it sounds heaps fun !! I love waterslides :)