Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Monet's Kitchen

Monet can be funny sometimes. Not ha ha funny. Just funny. You know what I mean. Don't you? She goes through phases of activities.

Somedays she'll happily sit in her room and read book after book, until they cover her floor and then she'll go through them all again. For a good hour or so she will do that.

Somedays she'll grab all her teddies and dolls and place them, one by one, on her floor, or, worse still (because that means I have to put them back), on the lounge room floor. Hours of entertainment there.

Then there will be days when she wants nothing to do with books or teddies or dolls. She'll lounge on the couch or sit and (attempt to) draw.

Today's activity has been to play with her 'Elmo Kitchen'. It was a Christmas gift from my parents that is certainly worth its weight in gold...today anyway.

She's been pottering around with it this morning. Preparing meals for me, making cups of tea for me, making Pickles (my, sorry, Monet's teddy) breakfast, washing the dishes in the little sink, opening the cupboard and the oven, turning on the hot plates, actually using the toy for its main purpose (which isn't just to sit and take up valuable space in our apartment!)

Sometimes when Monet is using her kitchen she tells me to go and use my kitchen. She doesn't really tell me as such, she demands it! It's because she knows I happily spend time in the kitchen preparing meals and baking goodies.

Hopefully in years to come Monet will happily potter around in my kitchen and prepare meals and goodies for me to eat. Just like I did in my mother's kitchen.

8 comments:

Star said...

has she made you any cupcakes yet?

Em said...

What a nice thought...the two of you cooking together some day. Kids are funny...the way they play, what they choose to play with, and how absorbed they become in it.

Melody said...

Star - no cupcakes yet. Give her a week or two? Hehe

Em - We already (attempt to) cook/bake together. I think Monet only joins me so she can lick the bowl!

LBA said...

That kitchen is too cute !

We are still using our cardboard box stove. I'm surprised it's lasted so long !

Marie said...

It's fun to watch them play, isn't it? Just amazing the little scenarios they come up with.

There's a little boy here who recognizes Monet now when he sees her on the screen!

Bobkat said...

Now that sounds nice :-) Of course before she masters the cooking there is the clearing up afterwards. My mum always called me "Do-a-job-make-a-job"!

Anonymous said...

I know that kind of funny.

Man, I got to send you those photos. Soon.

Anonymous said...

Kids are funny that way. I guess it is their way of exploring their world. To that sponge-like mind this is all new. The colors, textures, smells. Absorbed enough of that? Ok, lets go on and stimulate another part of our brain! Kids are great.