Saturday, January 06, 2007

Monet's New Dress

I know. It's not like Monet needs more clothes (goodness knows she has enough for the time being!) but one thing she lacks in her wardrobe is dresses. Summer dresses at that. She has loads of t-shirts and skirts and a few dresses but in continuous hot weather like we have, she needs them. That's my excuse anyway.

My mother used to be a right keen sewer and she has been known to 'whip-up' dresses for my sister and I and neighbours daughters (our playmates) when we were little, in a couple of hours. We have photographs of Kim, myself and girlfriends in matching cute little dresses. Because of this memory, I decided that I could probably sew dresses like that.

I rang up my mother who told me what to do. Yes, she gave me sewing instructions over the phone and told me it was easy. Hmm. I was unsure about the 'easy' part but I gave it a shot.

Eight dollars later, after a quick visit to my local Spotlight store (material and craft shop), I walked out with a 75cm length of material (chosen by Little Miss Monet), a reel of cotton and some elastic.

Two hours later, Monet was walking around the apartment in her new dress, which she LOVES. And my mother was right. It was easy to make. I was a little worried that once I made it she'd refuse to wear it, but Monet proved me wrong. Yippee. Proudly she said to Lyndon when he walked in the door after work "Mummy made it!"

This morning, I could hear her in her room crying. I went in and found Lyndon in there with her. She was crying because she was trying to reach up into the wardrobe for her new dress (which mummy made) but couldn't reach. Oww...

So, guess who will be gaining a lot more dresses in the weeks to come? For under $8, Monet will be. That's who!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, aren't you something! That's awesome. I think you might be exaggerating about the easy part though.

Anonymous said...

Wow!

Can you tell me how you did it?

Kiki said...

Oh Melody, that is fantastic! I am no seamstress, quite a gift in the kitchen (thanks very much) but hopeless with the other. I wish I was in FNQ 'cause I'd meet you for "refreshments" and con you into sewing some pretty little numbers for Miss A too :-)

kimbofo said...

Oooh, I remember those dresses!! As much as I hated wearing dresses as a kid, I didn't mind wearing the ones mum made!

PS> I didn't know you had a sewing machine.

Wes said...

Wow, you really did a great job! My wife sows as well although with only men in the house, she doesn't really get much chance to make us frock up!!!

Bobkat said...

Aw, that is so sweet. She looks pretty in it too :-) It's nice when a project works so well and that she loves it so much.

I'm impressed as I can't sew for toffee.

Melody said...

Delane - No, honestly it was pretty easy.

Raehan - I've emailed you my crappy instructions.

Kikimiss - Yeah, come on up! Hehe...

Kimbofo - Thought you would remember those dresses. And yeah, I bought my sewing machine back in early 2000 I think it was. I thought you knew that.

Wes - no, your wife won't be making any dresses in the future hey? No doubt she is a good sewer. I'm not really that good...

Bob-kat - yes it is wonderful when a project actually works out. Believe me I have done so many projects in the past that I just leave unfinished because I give up too easily.

Star said...

Wonderful job! my Mom was quite the seamstress. SHe made all my clothes, even I had a custom made wardrobe. I did a few holloween costumes and easter outfits for my girls.As they get older it isn't so cost effective. A few years ago myodest daughter and I made a gown and a velvet cape for a costume for her.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that you can do that? That takes talent!

Anonymous said...

That dress looks great, I would like one too.

Melody said...

Star - Thank-you. I am sure as the years roll on it won't be so cost effective sewing. Will just depend on what I am sewing I guess.

Deana - Aww...shucks!

Marianne - Thank-you but I'm not too sure how a 'cherry printed' dress would look on an adult! Hehe.

Marie said...

Wonderful! Great job, Melody!!

My older sis made most of my clothes when I was little. I remember wearing them til they were threads -- they were so special because my sister made them. I bet Monet will do the same!

Anonymous said...

Nice work! Monet is very sweet.

Ms Mac said...

Well done! I used to love Spotlight, I had friends who would go in there, buy a bolt of jersey cotton and run up t-shirts and shorts. I never could though, not nearly as clever as you!