Friday, January 26, 2007

Our Aussie Day

We have had a couple of stressful days around here, mainly to do with our bank loan but all seems to be getting sorted out. Fingers crossed and all.

So today it was a nice excuse to forget about our stresses of the past two days and enjoy Australia Day for all it was worth. Not that we went out and celebrated with the masses down at the Cairns Esplanade. Just celebrated in our own special way.

To begin with it was a Public Holiday, which meant Lyndon was home all day. But really, how can it be a Public Holiday when all the shops are open and all those poor shop assistance have to work, many at normal rate of pay. I symphasise with them. I was once one of those workers. I have a much better job now though don't I?

I figured for lunch that we'd have a BBQ. That's what Aussies do. That's what we're partly famous for. Lyndon cooked bacon and eggs on the Barbie whilst I got all fancy nancy with the Turkish bread and attempted to cut an outline of Australia. What do you think?


Tasted pretty good, I'll tell you that much. Not too filling either.

We spent a good while in our pool this afternoon. Monet is becoming quite the good little swimmer. She thinks she is oh so clever with her little green 'floaties' on and attempting to swim via the encouragement of Lyndon and I to use her little arms and kicking of those gorgeous legs of hers. Her smile is priceless. She has come a long way since her first pool venture at the age of three months. I think I'll enrol her in swimming lessons once we move. That's my plan anyway.

I can't wait for any of her grandparents to see Monet in the pool. She simply loves it. Too cute.

After a shower and a change after our long dip in the pool, to keep Monet happy, we went to one of the pubs close by. True. Monet was eager to go and well, how could we deny her? So a pub it was.

The beer of choice was good old Australian Carlton Draught schooners. Nice and icy. Besides the fact we were sitting outside and it felt like 40 degrees Celsius. And the sweat on all our brows started to become unbearable so we had to move on.

To another pub of course. Just for one more. Have to keep the young one happy don't we? Or should that be, didn't we?

Lyndon cooked some meat on the Barbie for dinner whilst I made a simply sensational potato side dish inside. I'll post the recipe on my

recipe blog tomorrow.

Nothing much on television tonight. Australia thrashed the English in the one-day international cricket, so that wasn't on television because it finished so bloody early.

That was our day.

How was yours?

11 comments:

Marie said...

Happy Australia day, Melody & family! I've never had Turkish bread -- looks like you did a great job! Eggs and bacon on the bbq... yum yum yum!

Pretty wild that you're sweating while we're watching our nose hairs freeze here in the northern hemisphere!

Anonymous said...

Happy Australia! Sounds like a yummy, perfect day.

LBA said...

Buying a house is weird.

The bank is all like "sure, you can buy this house, no worries!", and then when you commit, there's hassles you think "well, if they were going to harass us, why didn't they do this first?".
Rather odd.

The good thing is, it will be over soon, and in your new place in no time.

Michael K. Althouse said...

Sounds like a nice day. Mine wasn't quite as relaxing, but a good one all the same - I worked on a freelance story and a column ton go with it. I do like my job...

Michele sends her regards,

Mike

kimbofo said...

Sorting a mortgage is very stressful. Imagine what it is like doing it from the other side of the world -- and only being able to communicate by email. I would not want to live through that experience ever again!

Anonymous said...

Happy Austrailia day to you too!
Thanks for stopping by my blog where you already read about the first half of my day!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a pleasurable day to me.

I'll tell you what, we've got plenty of cool air here in the States that we can send your way if you'll send us some of that warm stuff!

Melody said...

Marie - Turkish bread is delicious!! Especially freshly made turkish breads. Yum.

Raehan - yeah a good day. We needed one.

H&B - thanks for your good wishes and you are spot on with what you said about banks. Urgh.

Mr. Althouse - Cheers.

Kimbofo - I can't imagine trying to get a loan through from opposite sides of the world. Don't they say that buying a home is one of the most stressful times in your life? Damn right.

Becky68 - no worries.

Sarch - where I live it is like this through out most of the year. If I could I'd package some of the heat up and send it off to those who'd like some...

Delane said...

Things were so stressful when we bought our house 8 years ago. It seemed like the bank came up with some new requirement we had to meet daily. I was so relieved when the process was finally over.

The food looks awesome and is making me hungry.

Melody said...

Delane - yes, the same thing seems to be happening to us. Unreal.

Anonymous said...

I love the way Australians talk! The barbie, I think that is so cool. Shrimp on the barbie! I love it! Sounds like you had a wonderful day. I feel sorry for the little shop clerks too, they work every holiday here.