Monet has always enjoyed books. Since before birth even. Yes, I was one of those mothers-to-be, who sat on a comfortable chair at 8 months pregnant and read out aloud to my tummy. I don't know if that helped in the fact that she enjoys books, but honestly, I think it is in her blood anyway and I don't think I know one child who doesn't enjoy a good story book.
We've got a few new favourites here and I chuckle to myself when I hear her reading to herself. She's actually pretty good at it. If you know Monet, you'd know she's a pretty clear talker for a 2 year old.
Today I heard her hiding behind the couch with 'We're Going On A Bear Hunt', written by Helen Oxenbury. She was saying "tip toe, tip toe..." then "squelch..." then "through the door and up the stairs..." then "under the covers". I was pretty surprised to hear those words coming out of her mouth. She loves that book which we gave her for Christmas. We got the book that came with a DVD version of the story. I have only read the book to her a handful of times and she's watched the DVD a couple. It's a good story that gets the heart pumping, depending on how you read it out loud of course. We know that this story is a favourite of her 4 year old cousins too.
'Whose Teeth? Whose Tail? Whose House?' by Jeannette Rowe is another new favourite. We gave it to her for her 2nd birthday but it seems as if she's only just discovered it. It's one of those books where you lift the pages back to discover just whose teeth/tail/house it actually is. Monet loves guessing and she'll happily sit there and surprise herself when reading to herself.
Auntie Kimbofo sent to Monet for her second birthday, 'Lulu loves the Library', written by Anna McQuinn. I think we especially like this lovely book because it reminds us of ourselves and our library days. And the fact it's called 'Lulu...' as Monet's middle name is Lulu. A very lovely book indeed.At the moment I am reading the 5th Harry Potter book (a bit behind in the series, I know!) but I am enjoying it. Not sure what I will tackle next. How about you? What are YOU reading at the moment?
9 comments:
I'm currently flicking through my 1001 Books to Read Before You Die book, I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying going through the history of the novel.
And then, after a friend loans me it today, I'm going to make a start on Patrick Süskind's Perfume.
:-) We're reading The Little Engine That Could a lotttttt... and Where's The Green Sheep? :-) And Stellaluna.
I'm reading a book on overcoming sugar addiction, which is actually turning out to be quite helpful!
I just finished the Blind Side, by Michael Lewis, which is about an extraordinarily deprived young man who turns out to be phenomenally talented at a particular position in American football and how he ends up at university as a result... it's all the more amazing / saddening because it's non-fiction.
Aside from books about dying, the small people in the house have been obsessed with "Altoona Baboona" (the 2 year old) and suddenly my old Paddington books from the early 70s (the 4 year old).
The Cp loves "going on a Bear Hunt" He likes to say "Can't go over it. Can't go under it"
I ALSO have a big sister that gives my daughters awesome books. We are lucky to have books galore in our house with all the gifts and all the books we inherited from my husband's family.
What am I reading lately? I'll have to post on that sometimes. It's all a blur right now. I need to go to bed.
What a good little mother you are! How sweet that she is trying to read those little words from her books.
What am I reading? Well, all my kids are old enough that they read without me (which I do miss!), so I can only report on my personal book. Dean Koontz - Forever Odd. Excellent!
Thanks for dropping by my blog! I think you are officially my first ever visitor from Australia! Wish I had a prize or something for ya! LOL
And yes, you have great tastes in templates! ;)
Ms Mac - I've seen that book in the bookshops, it looks interesting. Maybe you should pop over to Reading Matters and look around there. (check my blogroll)
Marie - so, what does Master K think of that Green Sheep?
Colin - ooo...big sis loved Paddington Bear books.
star - It's a popular book isn't it? Glad CP likes it.
Raehan - hope you're not sooo sleepy now. How lucky are we to have relavtives that enjoy books too?
Deana - thank you! Monet is a little talker so it's no wonder she reads out loud to herself.
Em - I haven't read any Dean R Koontz books for about 10 years now - I must get my hands on that novel.
He loves the green sheep!!!
and Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild, which we have from the library now...
Post a Comment