Thursday, February 08, 2007

Mercy Dash

Our supermarket shelves are nearing empty in this corner of Australia. I went into the supermarket yesterday in preparation for my mother arriving. I know my mother likes her cereal in the morning but when I went to the cereal aisle, it was virtually empty. E M P T Y. And don't even think about buying any fresh produce. There isn't any at ANY of Cairns supermarkets. That is no exaggeration either. I'll definitely be hitting Rusty's Market tomorrow.

This is of course due to the crap roads up here. A tiny bit of rain and the major highway and lifeline to this city is flooded. Pathetic. The Bruce Highway is always flooded, but it is a crap road anyway. It is mainly single lane from Cairns to Townsville (340 k's south) and very difficult to pass cars that are slowing up the traffic...

I saw in the paper this morning that Police are escorting trucks from Townsville to Cairns, loaded with groceries. They are calling it a 'Mercy Dash'. Yes, it is getting bad up here. (Thanks to ex-Tropical Cyclone Nelson.)
I'll be off hitting the supermarket a little later, me thinks. Before the shelves are emptied again. But only if it stops raining...

9 comments:

Star said...

I hope it gets better soon. Espeially in time for your parents' visit. THis i guess is the down side of living inparadise.

LBA said...

Wow.
And then when it gets there, I suppose you have to deal with 'panic bulk buyers' - those people who have to buy TEN boxes of cereal, leaving others with nary a flake ...

I'm not very good at stockpiling, so we'd be hungry and cranky too ;)

kimbofo said...

This is why having a stockpile of canned spaghetti comes in handy!

Marie said...

Holy cow! Maybe your parents can bring a suitcase of provisions with them!!

Em said...

Melody, reading your blog makes me so aware of just how unaware I really am! Life is so different in other parts of the world. I never imagine not getting food in the supermarket due to rain. God, I'm spoiled! LOL

Melody said...

Star - Yes, there had to be a downside of living in paradise, it's true. Rain it is...

H&B - looks like there was no panic buying, phew! I find it is mainly the elderly who do this panic shopping anyway. I'm not much of a stockpiler either. We'd stave or live on Dim Sims (always on our freezer) or cans of beans or spaghetti!

Kimbofo - see my comment above!

Marie - the meat department was fine! (No pun intended!)

Em - yes, the world certainly is a wide, different and amazing place. I too have learnt that through blogging.

Anonymous said...

We have rain here, too, Melody.

Drive safely and hope you get that cereal for your mum.

Kiki said...

When I watched the news and they announced the cyclone had gone elsewhere and you were back to blue skies..guess who I thought of?! Good news, I hope you had a wonderful weekend re-stocking the fruit basket/fridge and cupboards.

Anonymous said...

Wow, double wow. I hope you can find some fresh things for you guys!