What a way to see in the day....
The 25th of April each year is dedicated to the Diggers, a date each year that we pause to remember the ANZAC's (Australian and New Zealand troops) and to remember those who have fallen and those who are still fighting. 'The Anzac Spirit' is still alive and well today and is a saying still used. Just ask my dad.
We mark the National Holiday on the 25th of April because that is the date, 92 years ago, when the Australian and New Zealand troops landed at Gallopoli in Turkey, to fight in the 1st World War.
Over 60,000 'diggers' died in that war. 400,000 young men volunteered, in a population that had less than 3,000,000 males. For a young country the toll was enormous. It still is an enormous toll, I can't imagine that happening to our country now....
Most places across the country hold a morning service on the 25th of April to mark those who have fallen. The original time the young Anzacs landed at Gallipoli was at dawn. This is the time the service is held across the country.
Over 30,000 went to the service at Melbourne's Shrine of Remembrance.
Here, at 'the Northern Beaches', there would have been over 1,000, which is a good showing. And I love the fact that the crowd is made up of all ages. Babies, toddlers (hi Monet!), school children, young adults, adults, the older generation.
Each year, across the country, the numbers of people who go to these services rises, which I think is terrific.
So today is Anzac Day. A day to remember who fought for the freedom of this country and who helped shape Austrlaia. We also remember those who have fought in battles since the First World War.
Lest We Forget.
7 comments:
How wonderful that all those who have fallen are remembered in this very special day. As you said, that was an enormous amount of people who perished out of such a small population...
Those two pictures are very very beautiful!
Some wonderful pictures for an eloquent post.
Nice to learn something of your traditions. Wonderful photos and I like the new photo you have up for the profile...and the color.
Many died in the two world wars from many countries. I am glad that your country marks this day with such honour.
We have remembrance day in the UK on 11th Novemeber.
I hadn't heard of Anzac Day... beautiful.
Lovely photographs!
wonderful photographs! Nice post too. I think the youngest Mel Gibson movie I've ever seen is Gallopoli. It was a really good movie too.
Post a Comment