Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My Little Gecko Catcher

Well, kinda. She was all prepared to catch the naughty baby Gecko which had found its way inside...I had spied a tiny Gecko on the wall, near our balcony door, but before I could think twice, it had darted up behind a print we have hanging on the wall.

Urgh. Do you know how much they make my skin crawl? Do you? I seriously don't mind them outside, where they belong and catch and eat the nasty green ants, the tiny moths, the flies etc., but inside I can't stand it. I know I would not be able to sleep soundly if I knew a Gecko was lurking around indoors (along with the GIANT creepy-crawly cockroaches we have up here). Bloody tropics.

Not that I'm whinging. Oh no, you all know I *love* it up here.

Lyndon happened to ring to say he was running late home from work but when he returns he'd get the Gecko. He knows I'm not the biggest Gecko fan.

I was going to be brave. I was. I was going to try and catch it and free it outdoors. But I think even Monet knows me too well.

"Don't worry Mum. I'll catch it....Here Gecko..." she said. True. She can be awfully cute sometimes. And then she did her Gecko impersonation which is something like a "Ttk, ttk" noise she makes with her mouth against the roof of her mouth. Yes, awfully cute.

She decked herself out with the fly swatter and a container. Too cute. Too funny.

I put her on "Gecko watch, if you see the Gecko, let me know" I told her, as I went to check on dinner in the oven.

And she did a damn fine job, my Monet Lulu.

"I see it, I see the Gecko!" she exclaimed after watching the print on the wall for a few minutes. Ahh, that's me girl.

She went and grabbed the long handled broom for me and I encouraged the baby Gecko to sprint its way outdoors. Monet helped by telling the Gecko to "go outside", which it obligingly did, with a little 'sweep of the tail'...

She couldn't wait to tell Lyndon what she did when he walked in the door. Somehow she was telling Lyndon that she caught the Gecko and put it outside, but we know the real story, don't we? (The real story being that Melody Mum is a big scaredy cat of a tiny gecko and Monet is a very Brave Gecko-loving girl!)
Gee, just as I go to post this post (!!) Monet calls out "I can see a Gecko". Another baby one. Inside. At least Lyndon is home. But Monet, being the big Gecko catcher she is, used the fly swat.... Maybe you can guess what has just happened...

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

*shudder* This reminds me of the time a snake got into our house. It found a tiny crack underneath the storm door and slithered inside. It was just me and a couple of tiny defenseless children at the time, so I turned my back on the creepy-crawlie just long enough to get a broom, and I swept him outside, and I beat him to death. The kids were doubly entertained because I was wearing only a T-shirt and underwear, and praying fervently that nobody would drive by and see me (you could see the back patio from the road)!!!

Bobkat said...

I quite like reptiles but I'm with you on the huge cockroach thing - ugh! I'm the same way with spiders!

Monet could be a pro gecko catcher, or exterminator!

Anonymous said...

I think those are cute when I visit islands but I don't know if I'd want to live with them either. The insurance commercial has made them more endearing! Brave Monet....she is such a sweetheart and a big helper too!

Marie said...

LOL! Too cute. I know a little boy who'd love to be on gecko watch! I'm sure I wouldn't like them in my house either!!

Em said...

Finally! The giant cockroach reference is the first blemish on the otherwise perfect location in which you live. Now I can be just a tad less envious. LOL

Star said...

Uh-oh. I like Geckos. What a brave ggirl MOnet is.

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I can just see all this happening :)

Unknown said...

Hee, hee. Can you send her over her to catch moths for me please!

Anonymous said...

Very cute post. She's quite the little croc hunter. Geckos I think I could deal with. Even little cockroaches gross me out though. A big one would give me the willies for days.