Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Funky

Did you know 'leg-warmers' are back in fashion?


How could we (my mother and I) resist when I saw the little leg-warmers staring at me in Pumpkin Patch? Monet thinks they are wonderful and 'funky'. (She says 'funky' all the time - it is something I say often, so no wonder walks around saying particular clothes are 'funky'!)

I remember my Big Sis having a pair of leg-warmers back in the '80s. Weren't they trendy? I am sure I had a pair too but can't remember what colour they were, though I'll never forget Big Sis's were maroon. They probably matched her 'rah-rah skirt'. I wonder if mine matched my 'balloon skirt'? Or my fingerless gloves?

I had Monet in a dress yesterday (see photo below) that my mother had kept, which used to belong to both myself and my sister. If my calculations are correct I'd say the dress is a good 35 years old! A nice 1970's dress, with a '60s mod look about it. The only thing that gives it away that it is so old is that the miniature spotty flower material is faded, but otherwise it would look pretty 'funky'.


I know my mother also kept a dressing gown my Granny had knitted for my sister when she was a youngster (maybe 6?) When we visited my parents place in November of last year, Monet wore it every morning, with the sleeves rolled up. Also in my old wardrobe is a winter coat with a matching hat, which would have been very expensive in it's day. It belonged to me and I have a picture of me wearing it in the snow in 1977. I'm sure if we were living in cold (cold) Victoria this winter, Monet would probably be wearing it. It would just about fit her.

This post makes me think that maybe I should keep a few nice, good, trendy items from Monet's wardrobe. Just in case she happens to have a daughter in the year 2040 (*giggle giggle*) and fashion from the '00's is trendy again. Or funky.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Definitely keep those clothes - and some of yours too. One of my friends in the UK wears clothes her gran used to wear when she was the same age.

Star said...

They say that everything old is new again! I think all I have from my are some dance costumes and wedding gowns. And a christening outfit.

Marie said...

I'm amazed by the clothes I see around that look like things I wore 25 years ago. Love Monet's leg-warmers!

Anonymous said...

I used to have leg warmers too...I liked them!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've got a good idea on keeping some clothes from Monet's childhood. While you're at it throw in a newspaper and maybe a magazine as a time capsule :)

Bobkat said...

Those little legwarmers are indeed 'funky'! LOL! I think you should keep some of her things once she has outgrown them. I bet she'll love it when she's your age :)

BTW - I had legwarmers too but I don't know what colour they were either! I also had fingerless gloves - I thought they looked so cool!

Anna said...

Those shoes are TOO cute! I need a pair in that exact color!