It is off the sealed road to Cooktown, but is situated on the non-sealed coastal route up to Cooktown, which runs through the Daintree and Cedar Bay National Parks.
The three of us actually really loved the Lion's Den. We didn't want to leave. We figure we might one day, even ditch 5-star resort style accommodation for a night spent here. (They have basic cabins, campsites available!) It was really nice, with a safe playground (which someone didn't want to leave), loads of freshly cut lawns to run around on, roaming pet dogs, a few chooks pecking around the whole place and overall it had this lovely warmth to the place. Here's the website, so have a little look.
And considering we had travelled out of our way (a whole 4 kilometers off the main road) and we had been wanting to visit The Lions Den, Lyndon and I had to have a beer each. Had to. It was an Aussie thing to do. At 10:30 in the morning. And let me tell you, it went down an absolute treat. No wonder we wanted to stay.
Monet enjoyed seeing the Lion which greeted us under the outside sign. She thought it was funny and did her best to imitate the Lion for her parents...
(Cute ain't she?)
Inside the pub was amazing. It was full of memorabilia, graffiti, hats, stickers, flags - you name it. And a great array of bottled/canned beer on offer (no 'taps' in this neck of the woods.)
If you are ever up this end of Australia, a visit to The Lion's Den Hotel is an absolute must. I can't wait to revisit some point down life's busy highway...
7 comments:
So Aussie.... I'm quite homesick.
That place looks like it's full of character! Glad to see Monet is giving that lion some of his own medicine! Cute.
That Corona looks so inviting! Where is my lime and my chair?
As long as the sun is past the yard arm (nautical term here), it is ALWAYS beer oclock!!!
And, as an aussie, I know this as FACT!!
Michelle sent me today...
deleted prior post due to spelling errors... sorry!
That looks like my kinda place! And Monet is so cute.
What a great post! I feel all sentimental reading it. I have some very fond memories of this place. I remember we ate them out of Twisties and chocolate -- 5 weeks in the rainforest without junk food, what did they expect?!
We also slept in the shed out the back - 60 people - immediately before and after the expedition! Can you imagine it!?
Funnily enough I cannot remember that lion being out the front, but I suppose it must have been there. I do remember sitting on that front porch with an old aboriginal man though...
Looks great, though I'm not sure at a beer at 10.30 in morning.
Post a Comment