Our friends were staying out of town. (In Mossman in case you were wondering, which is about 10 kilometers north of Port Douglas! They are helping put up tents in a secret location - but I can now tell you where - as Steven Spielberg is filming a big mini-series up here with Tom Hanks in the leading role. All outdoor scenes are being shot up this way and all indoor shoots are going to take place in Melbourne.) They were still some time away when we arrived so we stopped in at a 'bottle shop' to buy a '6-pack' (of Stella Artios in case you were wondering!) Monet and I waited patiently in the car whilst Lyndon went into the store.
When Lyndon returned to the car he brought along someone with him. The guy we used to rent a house from in Rye (on Melbourne's Mornington Peninsular) back when I was 4 months pregnant with Monet. Lyndon worked with 'Jason' for a number of months when he was doing his carpentry apprenticeship. 'Jason' had this grand plan on renting out his lovely beach side house and travel up the coast to 'maybe' work in Port Douglas. Over three years later he is still there. Small world.
We only rented his house for about 7 months before we moved back to Melbourne, as we missed the city-life too much. But we still talk about how much we loved that Rye house.

And we wonder each time we visit Port Douglas if 'Jason' still is up here. Well, we found out the answer last night. And funnily enough, 'Jason' works for a building company that is currently working at Lyndon's work site.
Speaking of small worlds, I remember when I was backpacking around the UK (alone) in 1996/97 I was staying at a little hostel in Edinburgh, off the lovely Royal Mile. One of the girls who was in the dorm with me was taught by my father at one of the schools my dad taught at during his career. Small world.
Have you had any 'small world' experiences, like mine?
5 comments:
I was once on holiday in southern Spain with some friends and we met a girl who'd been in the year below us at school. She was with some friends who knew one of my friends from the local pub back home.
Also, when we were interrailing around Europe after finishing our A-levels, Oh so long ago in the summer of 1993 we met a lovely man and his girlfriend in a youth hostel in Rome - we all secretly fancied him rotten. We left Rome on the same day and said goodbye to each other at the bus stop. We travelled to southern France on a sleeper train. We'd decided to have a few days camping at this small town we'd never heard of before and had just picked off the map. When we got to the campsite the guy from Rome and his girlfirend were just checking in.
That house is beautiful! I would have had a hard time letting go of that one!
As for small worlds, I once met a bloke at a friend's house in Sydney who, after he'd asked me where I came from, told me his mum and my Mum were neighbours and friends growing up in Scotland. They were too- my Mum was there the night his mum and dad met and she went to their wedding!
My boss dated my next door neighbor's sister when they were younger. We found that out when my boss was at a bar talking to the bartender (neighbor's husband,and also my neighbor) and mentioned where he worked My neighbor said "I know someone who works there!"
hae you seen Tom Hanks lurking about?
I backpacked through Europe, the UK and the Middle East in 1996...maybe we ran into each other back then? Hmmmm.
We had a couple of small world moments on our honeymoon in Italy, but the best one covered three continents in one shot... there's no short version but it involved me knowing, in Los Angeles, a guy that my wife knew in college in New York State, and then she and I meeting a friend's "university chums" from Oxford, one of whom was the best friend of said guy's younger sister in Mumbai. Small world indeed.
Post a Comment