Ahh, the lovely Marina/Reef Terminal. This is where the large boats take hoards of cashed up people out onto the Reef. Some trips take up to 2 hours to reach particular areas of the Reef.
This is looking westerly over the City skyline. Yep - no high rises here (the highest complex is the one Lyndon has been working on!) but plenty of hotels and apartment blocks. And shops. And drinking places.
Cairns population has been steadily growing and latest reports state that Cairns has the fastest growing population in Australia (there is so much employment opportunities available up here. We are prime example!) Once a sleepy little northern town, it is now building into a hustling little city with the fifth busiest airport (for both domestic and international) in Australia.
I love Cairns for its diversity of people. I love it for its tourism and for its tourists. I have never seen (nor lived in for that matter) a place like it. No where reminds me of somewhere else. It has a heart all of its own. It has this laid-back, leisurely feel with a great outdoor lifestyle. People don't worry about the little things in life, it's all "She'll be right mate" and it is not unusual to spy the pubs bustling with early morning drinkers.
And sure, there are a couple of things I don't like about the place (which includes the never-ending rain sometimes for weeks on end) but overall it is a great place to visit and a wonderful place to live.
For the time being.
12 comments:
g'day...Michele sent me. Actually, I was tickled to see your page because I visited Australia 3 years ago, spending 6 weeks in WA and absolutely loving it. So I have a soft spot in my heart for Australia and Australians.
(P.S. the photo that accompanies this note was taken in Pemberton, as a matter of fact.)
That is an amazing complex that your husband has been working on...Cairns looks very beautiful in these pictures...Peaceful and that view of the bay and mountains...Just lovely!
it has been a little while since I have been north. Someone told me of a pretty good quilt shop near the show grounds, so a trip might be in order soon!
I think it is a good thing to feel good about where you live - it affects everything, you health, your happiness, your outlook.
You're obvioulsy in a very good place :)
( I liked Cairns too, when I visited :)
So, will you get a complimentary night there at the Hotel after completion? I used to work for Tourism Qld so although I'm not cashed up I have been on many outer reef cruises. Loved the accompanying seafood smorgasbord lunches ;-)
ah so that is the building that lyndon is working on, it is a very impressive building for cairns. i quite often think how lucky i am to have grown up in cairns, because i think of how much money people pay to come and visit here.
You give a great mini tour of Cairns. I really got a little feel of what the palce is like from your pics adn your narrative. I love that it is till so laid back. Do you think it will stay that way with it growing so quickly?
Diversity is always good. The early pubs would probably get me though. Hubby wouldn't let me live there. I'd drink all day and try to say mate with a bad accent. I love to hear people say mate! Great tour and pictures....I've been catching back up. Your sunrise pics below are excellent too.
BTW...I forget that shag is something very different in the rest of the world. Here it is a swing type dance done to beach music. Not beach music like the California Beach Boy's kind but Eastern Beach Music. It sprung up out of places like Myrtle Beach, SC. "Up on the Roof" and "Sixty Minute Man" are bigger examples of that kind of music. It is fun and happy with a nice beat.
Beautiful! You truly do live in paradise, Melody.
Veeery nice.
It is a pleasure reading your posts on Cairns. You are obviously very taken with the place and I see why when I look at these photos.
Does Lyndon enjoy working on these buildings in Cairn?
I love that pool! And now, thanks to you, I am ready for a vacation! :)
Post a Comment