Thursday, July 12, 2007

Avoiding the Regret Period

I like shoes but I am actually pretty fussy these days when it comes to shoes. I guess that's why I don't own many pairs. Do you know how many pairs of bad shoes there are out there? By my standards, there are more bad shoes than good shoes. But that is just my opinion. I've had many a-pair of bad shoes during the years...

Seeing as I have only bought two pairs of shoes during the past year (and one pair were a gift from my Parents-In-Law) I justified a new pair pretty well. My other shoes I wear religiously are my Birkenstocks.

These ones...
and these ones...Seeing that Monet and I are off to Melbourne and country Victoria, in less than 3 weeks time, I can't exactly go around exposing my toes as they might drop off. Literally. It is cold down there. And one can't possible wear socks (or tights) with Birkenstocks now, can they?

So after weeks of looking and researching I actually found a pair of shoes that I like. That I can wear with both jeans/three-quarter pants or casual skirts. I saw them in a window of a 'skater' shop in Cairns Central a while back. I came home and researched them on the internet and really, to see if Lyndon liked them. True. I have bought shoes before that Lyndon hates (being the 'Shoe King' he is and all) and needed his 'nod', because I know that if Lyndon didn't like them, I would never wear them. (Is it only me who does this? Meaning, if your partner screws their nose up at something in terms of clothing or shoes, you never wear them again?) I trust Lyndon's opinion to avoid the all important 'regret period' that often happens in this household. (ie. You buy something, come home and then feel the biggest regret in purchasing that product after looking at it again. Okay then, maybe it is just us!!)

I tried the 'wanted' shoes in store, the following week to discover my size was not in stock. So they ordered them in for me. How nice. I wanted those shoes. (After getting the 'nod' and all!)

They arrived this week and I picked them up today.
I'm happy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it might be just you :p

I dress my husband, and everything I pick is 'my style', and he happens to like 'my style' ( whatever that is ).

I cannot and will not own sneakers, or any kind of lace-up. They foreshorten me and make me look daggy.

In winter I wear Mary-Janes, or zip-up leather high-heel boots.

Anonymous said...

I think you have spent tooooooo much time in the rainforests of FN Qld, because these look like jungle wear. Sorry!

Melody said...

H&B- I too used to live in my Mary Janes. Loved them. But now the ones I own are worn out. Yes, another pair are in dire need so I will surely be purchasing some in the very near future.

Kimbofo - so you don't like them. Good for you. I thought they'd go well with all my other camouflage gear. ;)

Anonymous said...

My father in law has been known to wear heavy woolen socks with his Birkenstocks during winters in Michigan - which I suspect is a bit colder than Melbourne. Mind you, he is the archetypal absent minded professor. My wife was generally mortified about this when she was a teenager, especially on the days when he wore "hunter orange" socks.

Marie said...

Nice! Those things last and last (my son has had a couple pair of that brand). I like my woolly Stegmann clogs in cold weather. HEAVEN I tell you!

Kiki said...

See I like these two colours together but they wouldn't suit me. I'm a shortie (approx. 5"5) and having a broad foot I find a lot of "trainers" make me look tubby. Never the less, I own a pair of white 'Pony' trainers that have pink laces with red & pink stripes and I like them too. They make me happy..and that's the main thing. You'll need shoes like this for all the walking you guys do too.

LBA said...

Hmm - kikimiss has the same issues as me .. maybe it's a shortie thing :)

Anonymous said...

OMG those Sketchers are just too cute!