Saturday, July 28, 2007

Birthday Aprons...

It is Lyndon's nieces 3rd birthday tomorrow (she is 5 weeks older than Monet) and she is as 'Dora' mad as her cousin.

When in Spotlight a couple of months back, I bought a length of 'Dora-inspired' fabric, knowing that I would be able to whip up something with it. So I made a little girl's apron out of part of it and I'm actually pretty impressed with the result. I didn't have a pattern - I just copied one of Monet's 'store-bought' numbers.

I also bought Heidi (our niece) a matching Dora umbrella and a disc which I know she doesn't have. I'm sure the present will be a hit. (There is a little girl in this household who want to keep it!)

As Heidi has an older sister, Jessie, who is now 4 and a half, I thought I had better make her a gift too. The result was this apron which I made yesterday, also without a pattern.


I'm sure she'll like it as much as the birthday girl will like hers.
(Thanks to Louise from Lulu Lolly Legs for the inspiration!)

11 comments:

scrappintwinmom said...

OOH! Can we have a couple Dora umbrellas too? We love Dora here. Obsessed with Dora here. I...am here via Michele - nice place you have!

Kiki said...

The aprons are great Melody! I wish I was gifted in the sewing arena but sadly, I am far from it. Instead I have to purchase all these lovely handmade gifts from you talented folk.

lorenzothellama said...

I'm ashamed to say I have never heard of Dora! Please don't tell Monet! The aprons are brilliant. There's something very comforting about wearing a pinny!
Wet to see the Simpsons last night, and if I have the energy I'll try to do a posting later. Meantime, off to try out the toe. I need to take Badger for a walk!
Lorenzo.

jeanie said...

How wonderful!

I once made a toy toolbelt for my nephew and a cape for my daughter.

Its fantastic when inspiration, materials and follow-through all coincide. Well done.

BreadBox said...

Boo and Skibo love Dora --- and they love cooking too! I think that we may have to see if we can whip up something like that here:-)
Michele sent me to tell you I liked the work you did on it!

N.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

These are charming! How wonderful that you can sew, with or without a pattern...Sewing was never my strong suit, though CrossStiyching was a wonderful solution to that! (lol)

mckay said...

very creative...and you KNOW there won't be someone giving her the same gift :0)

here from michele's

Pat said...

Hi Melody! I have happy memories of Queensland when we visited some years ago. I think the things you have made are charming (I'm not familiar with Dora) but I'm sure the girls will love them and how satisfying to have created something so pretty. Well done! Michele says hi!

Marie said...

Very nice, Melody! I am impressed with your craftiness!!!

Louise said...

Fantastic Melody they look great. I love the fabric on the half apron, v cute. I'm still loving making aprons. I think now I should start making some to sell - stay tuned.

Carli N. Wendell said...

So cute. . . nice work.