Once upon a time, I used to get very excited to go and collect the mail. I used to love writing letters and waiting to read a reply from a pen friend, whether that be my sister or a friend. (Now I excitedly look at my 'inbox' instead!)
Now when the mail arrives I kinda groan. No doubt if there is anything there, it will be a bill of some kind. And we don't need any more bills.
But now when Monet and I collect the mail, most times there will be a single envelope in there addressed to Monet. From my mother. At least 2, sometimes 3, times a week and doesn't Monet love it? Loves it.
"A letter for me from Grandma!!" she exclaims every time.
We wait until we get into our apartment before she opens the envelope and ohhs and ahhs over the card Grandma has made and written in. And Monet reads the card out loud to me, because my mother writes the same thing in each card, Monet thinks she is reading it... "Dear Monet, with love from Grandma Carol xx" Inside the card is an assortment of little cut outs that my mother has cut out of magazines, which Monet pours over. They are cutouts for Monet to glue into her scrapbook, but she hasn't done so for a few weeks now since I caught Monet sticking crayons and textas into the 'clag' pot. I need to buy more and keep forgetting.
So our collection of cutouts is growing, but Monet will still go through them all, pointing out certain pictures.
Now Grandma also includes stickers which are a big hit around here.
I think Grandma is now laughing at me, when she includes tiny bits of sequins etc., which Monet tips out onto the floor. My mum must know that it is I who has to clean up! *smirk*
It is lovely receiving goodies, such as letters, in the mail. I'm pretty good at sending postcards to people, but my letter writing has gone out the door.
Maybe I should go and write a letter?
When was the last time you received a hand written personal letter or postcard in the mail? My last postcard was from my father who sent us a postcard from Morocco.
9 comments:
I get bugger all in the way of hand-written letters. My kids got a postcard from my aunt when she was in Portugal recently, as well as the stacks of party invitations and thank-you notes that surround their social lives...
Like you, most of my correspondence involves a request for funds.
Thanks for the beautiful comment you left on our blog today. I so apprieciate your understanding. A few people have been like "god, what are you doing home, are u crazy?". It was a huge decision to come home but we are really happy to be back.
We have got the Gorillaz dvd that you were writing about. It is awesome. Well worth purchasing.
Honestly can't remember the last time I recieved a letter but I send them to my neice and nephew sometimes. God they love it! Would be great if letter writing came back in fashion!
Hope to catch up when you and Monet are in South Gippy.
Lisa.
My letter is still coming I'm sorry. I've been bedridden since Monday with a self-limiting virus and doesn't it suck?!!!!!! Next week there will be a pretty envelope waiting for you.
I actually got a card with a handwritten note from a friend yesterday. Just to say hi. But you are right, it is a very rare thing these days.
What a fabulous thing for Grandma Carol to do!
that is so cute !
About 3yrs ago I used to regulalry get mail and postcards from Japan when my g/f was living and working over there. I'm terrible these days when i go away - it's always an internet cafe update - no postcards !!
P.S. - go down to your local newsagent and get the first issue of the Dora 'collection' - a 3-episode DVD and a magazine for $6 !
I won't be buying any more though, as they go up in price as of next issue ;)
H&B - yep, already have my dear. And we got the second issue too. $15 a pop, I know, but she knows I will only buy the next issue if she is good. Seems to be working too...
The only hand written mail I get these days are from Mum in the UK. And she's the only person who gets a handwritten letter from me. The noble art of handwritten correspondence is just about dead.
Yes i got a card off jessie this week, she even posted it to me. IT Said dear nanna how are you love jessica. The envelope said to nanna and then my address all written by jessie.cute
Post a Comment