Thursday, July 05, 2007

Neighbours. Everybody needs good Neighbours...

I live approximately 2500 kilometres (in a straight line) from my parents in country Victoria. My sister lives approximately 12,500 kilometres (in a straight line) from them. We can't be there if they need us at the drop of a hat or generally just be there. That's where their neighbours step in. And I'm grateful they have such terrific ones at that.

My dad is currently on the long flight haul back from visiting Kimbofo in London and arrives back on Australian soil later on tonight.

As my mother only drives around the country town/area they live in, she wasn't keen on battling city traffic to pick him up this evening. It has been many (many) years since she has driven from our home town to Melbourne, even though when we were younger she often would. I guess it is a case of not doing it often enough which makes you scared. I understand that.

So a dilemma was rising of how dad was going to get home from the airport tonight. Would he stay at one of the hotels at the airport and catch a bus into the city tomorrow and then another bus home tomorrow? (Could you imagine doing that after a 24 hour flight?) There would be no doubt in my mind if we were still living in Melbourne I would have greeted him and driven him home. But we don't.

That's where my parents neighbours stepped in this week.

Since my mother has been home alone, (though one of her sisters from Melbourne stayed for a few weeks to keep her company and help potter around the garden), for the 6 weeks my dad has been away in Morocco, Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, England and Scotland, their neighbours have been popping in.

On one side of their property, is a family with 4 young children with the parents in their late 30's/ early 40's. Behind them is another young family with 3 young children with the parents in their late 30's. In a way, these neighbours are like my parents surrogate families with non-related grandchildren! I'm grateful that these families are there and are a great support for my parents, who, by the way, may be in their early 60's but are not old and frail like it probably sounds as if they are. They aren't.

On Monday, Pete, the neighbour from behind my parents acreage, popped in to say that he would go and pick up my dad tonight. The airport from the little hamlet my parents live (and where I grew up) is some 2 - 2 1/2 hours away by car. What a terrific neighbour. He is the same neighbour who has been mowing the lawn, helping chop the firewood etc., whilst my dad has been away. His wife has invited mum around for tea once or twice. (My parents spent Christmas lunch with them as both Kimbofo and I were obviously absent!) These are the type of neighbours you would love.

If they ever read this post, I want to thank them publically. I do. But I doubt they ever will.

Unlike my experiences with neighbours. The woman who lives next door to us now, is one rude old b***h who we never see (which is good), but if you do see her down the street or at the pub (where she works) she doesn't even acknowledge you. I don't have time for people like that.

The lady who lived next door to us in Cairns city was wonderful and very lovely. (Unlike her son who was rude too - would ignore you if he saw you!) She was really sorry to see us 3 move on.

When we lived in Melbourne there was a lovely elderly couple who lived a few doors down who were very, very lovely and adored baby Monet. They were friendly and they knew if they needed anything to knock on my door (though they never did!)

Neighbours. Everybody needs good Neighbours...

What are your neighbours like?

8 comments:

Theo said...

there is nothing so nice as a good neighbor! nice to find this positive note.

Happy July 4th (the ole USA celebration)

Michele sent me!!!

Bobkat said...

What lovely people. I am glad your mother has had them for support these last few weeks. Perhaps you could send them some flowers?

My neighbours are a bit like yours I'm afraid. Miserable. Some of them say hello but thta is where it ends.

I see you have already noticed that I tagged you. I hope you enjoy doing it!

LBA said...

Wow - what great neighbours. Having lived in Gippy at one stage - I know what a hike it is to the airport, and YIK to that !!

My husband goes O/S and I/S for work a bit, and even I hate going there - lucky we're close enough that a taxi is affordable ;)

As for neighbours - I think good fences make good neighbours BUT ... I also think being sweet and civil and nice and saying hi and having a chat and SMILING isn't too much to ask. I have great neighbours ATM, but I have a draft post about the neighbour's kids ( who are RUDE ) I never end up posting, as *I* feel rude to do so !!

Good neighbours are really so essential to good living. Life just works so much better when people smile and say 'hello' - wouldn't you agree ?

Some people just ruin it for everyone and should 'get over themselves'. I hope you are 'extra nice' to your resident bitch .. giving her a nice sense of the guilts .. hopefully :)

Sara said...

Hi, Michele sent me! What lovely neighbors your parents have. That was really nice of them.

jeanie said...

That is a great story! Wonderful neighbours make life richer - and wonderful fences make horrid neighbours bearable!

Marie said...

I hope you meet the good ones near you soon, Melody! We are very fortunate & live on an extremely neighborly street. There are a bunch of people I'd be comfortable asking for a hand, and who would ask us too! It makes a big difference!

carmilevy said...

I love this story, because it reaffirms my belief in the goodness of humans.

Thanks so much for sharing this: it's downright inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Good post Melody. You are right about the value of good neighbors.

Unfortunately those of us on my street barely know one another. We all give friendly waves as neighbors drive by but we don't socialize in any way.

I grew up in a much different scenario where everyone knew one another well and evenings were often spent outside chatting on the lawn with a neighbor....miss that I must admit.