Wednesday, July 11, 2007

That '8' Meme....

...that is doing the rounds at the moment. I've been tagged twice to do this meme, by both Bob-Kat and Kikimiss, so I figure I may as well do it. And you never know, you just might learn something...

1. When I am in the car, particularly when I am driving, I love to sip on a Red Bull. I don't know why, I just do. I remember when I was pregnant with Monet, I would actually sniff an open can, if Lyndon had one, as one knows, you shouldn't drink the stuff when pregnant and lactating. I remember the first can too that I had after I gave up breastfeeding. Yeah, I'm a little bizarre. It's the smell I love, not the actual taste. I say I'm not addicted but don't all addicts of any and every kind say the same thing? Oh, I'm not addicted...


2. At the age of 4 I fell over in the backyard when playing 'Hide and Seek' and I practically ripped off my bottom lip. I can still remember the blood on the black and white lino in our old house. Mum zoomed me into hospital whilst my sister sat in the back seat with me, holding my lip up to my mouth with towels. I had 14 stitches all up if I remember correctly (it was 30 years ago, after all!) and I have a scar to prove it. Being a parent now, I can really feel for my mum on that day. How horrifying.

3. I once bet 'Bones' Hillman (he was the bass player for Midnight Oil, he is the one on the far right in thie piccie posted here), at a game of pool in some seedy Karaoke bar in the back streets of Melbourne city. My sister, a friend and I had gone to see Midnight Oil perform at the Palace in St. Kilda. We had had a great night and decided to stick around after the gig to see if we could meet them (maybe we had one too many drinks!) We all, for some reason or another, wanted to meet 'Bones' rather than Peter Garrett (whom I admire - politics and all) and Rob Hirst (whom I also adore and kinda swoon at!) So we hung around in the club with a few other people. We were just about thrown out of the venue by big Maori bouncers, when these two guys said they were Bones' mates and to stick with them. We did. Out came the band, all bar Peter Garrett, and we got to meet Bones. We took them up on an offer to go into the city and play pool (mad, I know!!) but I remember Bones and his 2 friends being really sweet and friendly and the 6 of us, well, us 3 girls, had a great memorable night. I won't spill any beans. End of story.


4. My favourite number is the number 8. If I was on Deal or No Deal, that is the number I would choose.


5. I always thought I would live in Melbourne forever. I love that city. So when we moved away we always said to ourselves, we'd return. But that isn't in our sights any more. We have different goals now and the possibility of us ever returning there seem slighter and slighter. And you know what? I don't mind. Moving made the possibility of doing anything and going anywhere more open to me. Life is short and the world is an amazing place. And just how wonderful and diverse is Australia? We have a lot more exploring to do yet.


6. I used to hate beer. Hated it. I guess that is one reason why I never used to go out when I was at uni. I preferred Saturday nights in watching 'The Late Show' and 'The Bill'. (Now its still 'The Bill' but now also 'The Movie Show' on ABC2!) When I went to the UK in 1996, I was introduced to Beer and Lime and loved it. I came home to Australia and found I could go out and enjoy a beer (and so did my wallet!) I finally got rid of the lime in my pints or pots or halves in 2000. And I have never looked back. I have a particular fondness for European Beers (they are nice and light tasting) - Becks has always been a favourite of mine. I also love Grand Ridge Brewery's Natural Blonde. Mmm...


7. I have never had a cup of coffee. Never. Not even an iced coffee. I've never been a big tea drinker either until lately. I enjoy my evening cup of tea (white with one thank you) and sometimes one in the morning. I don't like it when people say "Want to meet for a coffee?", because, umm, no, I don't drink coffee.




8. When I backpacked around the UK in 1996, I went alone and I never thought twice about going alone. During that trip I learnt a lot about myself in the fact that you can do anything you put your mind to. I survived 4 months before I headed back to Australia. It was during this trip I stayed with my 'then pen pal', Rachel, where she lived as a student in Cardiff. Rachel is now a regular reader and contributor to this blog and she even has a wonderful blog of her own now! Go and say 'Hello' to her over at 'In A Land of Milk, Honey and Cider'...


There is my eight random things. It's actually taken me all day to write this post. I will not tag anyone but if you wish to do a list yourself (like you Rachel!), let me know and I'll come over and visit.

7 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Snap! on the Melbourne thing. I used to think I just wanted to go straight back there one day and live back in Hoppers Crossing (I know, I know!) but now I can't imagine ever shopping at the Werribee Plaza ever again!

I love coffee and tea though so if we ever got together, it would be for a beer. I love a VB even more now though than I did when I lived in Melbourne....

Em said...

You and my wife with the coffee thing! She has never tasted it. Hates the smell of it. And yet, I simply adore a good cup of coffee (pausing to sip...ahhh). On the other hand, I don't understand the lure of the Bull. I tried one can and could not get the whole thing down.

Bobkat said...

See!As 8 is your fave number you were meant to do this meme! :)

Really good list of stuff too. I love that it's random but all about you! It's great you wnet back packing by yourself. It's something I never got round to doing before I 'grew up'.

Anonymous said...

Great collection of tidbits. The Midnight Oil meeting is pretty neat. I always thought they were cool. The lip story makes me cringe. I fell while running with a pencil when I was three. It's one of my first memories. The pencil went in my eye, but luckily it went in the part behind my eyelid. The lead mark is still there, but I have to pull up my eyelid before you can see it. I only drank coffee once, as a child. It made me sick and I haven't had another taste since. Over here in the South-East portion of the US, it's all ice cold sweet tea. I love sweet tea, but don't drink the kind of tea the rest of the world enjoys. And I love a good beer.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Very interesting Eight! I cannot imagine how upsetting it must have been to you as well as your Mom, when your lip was harmed so very badly...14 stiches is a lot!

And traveling around Britain as you did, alone...Amazing! You are very very brave!

Anonymous said...

I don't think i've ever smelled Red Bull ? I don't think i've ever had one either !!

I love beer, but refuse to buy any other the 'export' ones in Australia now they're all made locally and taste local, and nothing like the product in the country or origin! I like Maltshovel Brewery beers here at home ... yum ..

And coffee - can only drink it in the morning, and only one. Otherwise I get 'coffee hangovers' and feel ratshit ....

Unknown said...

Thanks for the plug - again! Hmm, it sounds interesting - do I have to do it straght away? If not, then yes please come and visit with the details!

I´m with you one the coffee - vile stuff. Actually, if I write my 8 ramdom things I may tell you why (or do you already know?)