Monday, July 30, 2007

Where My Drinking Water Comes From...

(Post number 199!)

Saturday morning took the three of us to the Copperlode Dam/Lake Morris in the mountains behind Cairns. It was 16 kilometers of bendy roads, but because the speed limit was 40 kilometers per hour, I fared well.

Lake Morris is a man made lake, holding some 45,000 megalitres and is the main source of Cairns water supply. It is at 100% capacity with something like (currently)10mm over the spillway constantly. I think it may be one of the only reservoirs in this country that is at capacity! Amazing, considering the majority of the country is at drought-stricken levels. But this is the tropics.

The views on the way to the Lake were amazing, looking over Cairns suburbs and city, over towards the Great Barrier Reef and Green Island. I took photos but of course it never quite 'captured' the view.

The road itself, cut through 'wet tropical rainforest', past mini waterfalls, simply lovely.

The Lake was beautiful and the way the area had been planned was great, with a playground, picnic tables, viewing platforms, boards with the history of the lake and an undercover kiosk area.

We stayed for a while, soaking it all in, sitting on the chairs and sipping drinks (a hot chocie for me thanks!)

It was a really nice place to visit for a Saturday morning, especially when your daughter falls asleep in the car on the way home. *grin*

And because you have all been such loyal readers, as my present to you, here is a photo of Monet and I, taken at the Dam. Do you like my new spiffy haircut I got last week? Heehee... (And can you believe that cute little girl is mine? She looks nothing like me, more and more like Lyndon each passing day!)

Did you do anything of interest on the weekend?

6 comments:

jeanie said...

Happy 199th!!! I am at 98 myself.

Lovely shots (as usual) and you look great - I have a similar similarity to my daughter!

Unknown said...

I like the new haircut - doesn't Monet have the same face shape as you? It looks like that in the photos.

I think you caputred the view very well in the first photo, although of course I've never seen it myself. Maybe one day ;-)

Bobkat said...

That is a great photo of you and Monet at the dam and the new haircut looks fab!

I did little of interest at the weekend I'm adfraid. I did have a long line of family members coming down and doing their washing, using the showers and marvelling at running water from Gloucester though!

Your visit to the lake looks wonderful. It is so lush and green. Your description of it sounds like the rainforests I visited in Brazil once. They were full of little waterfalls, very verdant and alive with bird and insect noises. Your photo's are great ;)

Ms Mac said...

You two look great! I love your fancy hair-do. It's amazing how fair Monet is in comparison to your dark. (Unless, like me, your hair colour comes in a box!)

;-)

Anonymous said...

I like the haircut too. She is much fairer than you isn't she? Happy Late Birthday to your sister and Lyndon's niece. I noticed how close in age your sister and Delane are and I saw your note on his post! I love the pic of Monet sleeping in her car seat, too sweet!

LBA said...

I love your new do !!

Looks fabby !