Friday, August 31, 2007

Flashback Friday

House & Baby suggested to me to start joining in with 'Flashback Friday', where each Friday you post a photo of a younger self, at any age and tell the story about the photo or memories around the time. There are a few bloggers doing this now and I thought I would join the fun, after visiting my parents house and was told to take some photos from a collection that once belonged to my Grandparents.

(Note to Kimbofo; there is a pile there waiting for you too!)

So here I present to you, biglittlesister's first Flashback Friday photo (circa late 1973/early 1974)....


This is baby me, maybe 9/10 months old, in the arms of my funky mother (how cool does she look?). Next to her is my Granny (my father's mother) gripping onto my sister's shoulders, all under the watchful eye of my Aunt Helen, who was married to my father's brother.

My mother would have been 28 in this photo. I couldn't imagine wearing a skirt 'that' short, even if I was 28. I'm not a fan of my legs - obviously I didn't inherit my legs from 'her' side of the family. Pity. My mum has good pins. (Even to now. - I wonder if she'll read this *grin*)

I remember my Granny always dressing like this. She was old school. Always had a nice dress suit on with jewellery and low heeled shoes with beige stockings. She was Scottish with a thick Glaswegian accent that she held onto, until she died in 1997. She had been living in Australia since 1954 (?) yet you would think with an accent like hers, she had stepped off the boat yesterday.

I know my Aunt Helen had her first child the year after I was born so I am wondering if she is looking at me and knowing she was pregnant? Hmmm...

So there you go, Flashback Friday first post by biglittlesister.

Will I dare do another one next Friday?

10 comments:

Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

very cool. I like old photos.

michele prolly does too

-E said...

I haven't seen a Flashback Friday photo post before and yours is great. I love the memories you shared, thanks.

Michele sent me, have a nice weekend.

LBA said...

Are you all shortarses, or is Aunt Helen serioulsy 7ft tall ?!?!??

( P.S. - the group is on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/groups/flashbackfriday/. They usually have themes each week too, if that helps ? )

Tracey Petersen said...

You should dare. I'll be back to have a look.

Melody said...

H&B - Aunt Helen would be 6ft something, but my Granny was small and so is my mum. I guess that's why my Aunt does look about 7ft! *heehee*

Marie said...

Love it, Melody. I love seeing old pics. What a cutie you were!!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Great to see this picture of you as a baby...My My My, your Aunt was quite tall...or all of the rest of you quite short! (lol)
I look forward ro more of these pictures of you!

Unknown said...

Wonderful, and you really remind me of your mum. At first glance - without reading the post - I thought it may have been you! And I'm sure your legs are looking lovely - I thought you were rather slender and very stylish in that photo montage you did of your holidays.

Bobkat said...

You're Aunt was tall!

It's great to look at old photo's. They really are a snap shot of things like fashion and popular culture of the time.

You don't look too impressed in the picture Melody! :)

Anonymous said...

That's a sweet photo and an even sweeter description of it.