Friday, September 28, 2007

A Beer, A Wedding and A Flashback

Last Sunday, the three of us went to a wedding.
I don't really know the bride and groom that well, just through Lyndon's work, where he works with the groom.
I wore this...


(Esprit Skirt and top bought at Myer), along with some sexy (!!?!!) black patterned tights, a black camisole and my Mary Jane shoes.

They got married in the tiny church in Kuranda, which claims to be a 'village in the rainforest'. It kinda is, bar the fact it is full of hippies, tourists and people out to make a quick Japanese buck. And it is pretty. And the church is gorgeous, bar very small, and very (very) hot inside.
We were lucky to get there before the bride. In typical Lyndon and Melody (and Monet) fashion, we were there half an hour early to discover the church empty.
So we went to the local pub and enjoyed a bevvie.

We returned with a couple of minutes to spare, to find the pews filled, the groom waiting and the bride getting out of the car! And to say that everyone looked at us was an understatement. Have you ever been to a wedding where the bride was actually on time? *heehee*

The reception was held back down at Cairns at one of the resorts and it was very lovely. The meal was delicious (buffet style) and the speeches were pretty good. The cake was cut, the couple danced their first dance and we left soon after.

In honour of it being 'Flashback Friday' and that I have talked about a wedding, I present to you one of my parents wedding snaps. I'm sure they won't mind me posting it here, I mean, I am amongst friends and I do love their wedding photos.




This was April 1968. (For any of you Melbourneits you may recognise the gates belonging to Williamstown Botanical Gardens.) I love the fact that they were married in the late '60s as I think the style they wore never really went out of fashion. I love my mothers dress and she looks pretty darn hot. And dad there looking all clean cut in his suit and bow tie.
They are still happily married 39 years later. With two daughters and one granddaughter. No son-in-laws yet, nor no other grandchildren on the horizon either!!
Have you been to any weddings lately?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your outfit...and the picture of your parents is great.

I haven't been to a wedding since March.

But it was a fabulous wedding.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOVE the picture of your parents wedding...What a beautiful dress..! They are so very attractive---your Mom is Beautiful and your Dad, very very handsome!

I haven't been to a Wedding in quite a few years....Mostly because of my health issues...And I think the last wedding I was at...Well, I ws 'The Officient'! Seems like another life!

Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

sounds like it was a pleasant distraction w/some new duds -- better than a poke in the eye eh?

I've never heard the expression "out to make a quick Japanese buck." heh heh -- michele cent me

Anonymous said...

I love the photo of your parents. And your outfit you wore to the wedding is nice, I want that skirt!

Here via Michele, have a great weekend.

Pat said...

Hi Melody! Mum and Dad look gorgeous and your wedding outfit very pretty. Shame no photograph of you. BTW by coincidence I have a photo of a thirty year old wedding dress on my last post. Small world!
Michele says hi!

Mr. L said...

Hi, Melody! Sorry I haven't stopped by here in a long time...saw your name over at Michelle's and decided to fix that.

Ha - thankfully, NO, I haven't been to any weddings lately. Most of my friends did that long ago and are already divorced...LOL...no, wait, that's not all that funny...

Mr. L said...

What the ?!? I just looked at the photos of Monet....I HAVE been away.
Wow. Not so little anymore...

Michael K. Althouse said...

Very nice. I have never heard of a wedding starting as advertised either. It's so good to hear of people still married after so many years. My parents were married in 1962 and remain married (to each other) to this day.

Me? not so much.

Michele sent me,

Mike

LBA said...

I was on time for my wedding - I think 'fashionably late' is 'unfashionably rude' - i'm such a Nanna !! :)

Your outfit sounds liek it would have looked wonderful, and I love weddings - i've got 2x in November i'm looking forward too - mmm - reception dining, I love it ! :)

And the pic of your parents - just lovely !

Anonymous said...

I like your outfit....it was very cool.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all. I was just at my brother's wedding two weeks ago today, in Edinburgh. I was the best man, and my daughters were the flower girls - apparently a novelty in Scotland, but one that people were threatening to copy.

And FWIW, my parents are about a week away from their 40th wedding anniversary. My mother's observation on being married that long: "I've always known I could cause him more anguish by sticking around than by leaving." Oddly enough, my father doesn't laugh as much about that as everyone else does ; )