I knew about it the following day when I went to roll out my homemade pizza dough (yes, I do like baking!) and my hands killed me. The palms of my hand where the rolling pin hits when you roll. Ouch. My Mother-In-Law-One-Day recommended me buying a pasta machine. A lot easier she said.
She was right.

On Saturday I bought my pasta machine from 'House'. (As much as I love 'House' I am not a fan of the one in Cairns. It doesn't feel right being served by a early twenty-something male/boy who wears rock t-shirts and no apron. In stores like this I expect to be served by people like this...) I put the boy/man through his paces by questioning the difference between the 3 pasta makers on offer and why the price difference. I ended up with the Avanti one. Mainly because a) I have heard of that brand and b) it was $5 cheaper than the other one in my budget range and c) it is the most popular and no one has returned it to the store.
I didn't just buy a pasta machine however on Saturday. I also bought a Food Processor. I've been wanting one since I got my mix master for Christmas last year. It seemed before I had my mix master every recipe I wanted to make said 'mix with electric beaters' (of which I didn't have any!) Then after getting my mix master, every recipe seemed to state to 'place in food processor and beat'. Typical eh? I think I have all gadgets now. For the time being any way...

I bought the Sunbeam Multiprocessor from Good Guys, only to return it the following day. I did buy the last one on offer (ie. demo model) which I won't be doing again. I got home to find it was missing some of the most important pieces. The main chopping blade, the whisk attachment, the dough attachment and the middle 'spindle' part.
I rang up and said that "I'm not happy".
They offered to replace the processor for another brand (No, I do research on these things! I know what I want!)
Order in the missing parts. (No, that would mean a 5-10 business day wait before I could use my new toy)
Get my money back (Yes please, so I could go up the road and buy exactly the same processor at Myer for the same money AND earn Myer One points!)
You can only guess what I did on Sunday then.
I walked out happy. I came home happy. I used my processor happily.
I didn't just buy a pasta machine however on Saturday. I also bought a Food Processor. I've been wanting one since I got my mix master for Christmas last year. It seemed before I had my mix master every recipe I wanted to make said 'mix with electric beaters' (of which I didn't have any!) Then after getting my mix master, every recipe seemed to state to 'place in food processor and beat'. Typical eh? I think I have all gadgets now. For the time being any way...

I bought the Sunbeam Multiprocessor from Good Guys, only to return it the following day. I did buy the last one on offer (ie. demo model) which I won't be doing again. I got home to find it was missing some of the most important pieces. The main chopping blade, the whisk attachment, the dough attachment and the middle 'spindle' part.
I rang up and said that "I'm not happy".
They offered to replace the processor for another brand (No, I do research on these things! I know what I want!)
Order in the missing parts. (No, that would mean a 5-10 business day wait before I could use my new toy)
Get my money back (Yes please, so I could go up the road and buy exactly the same processor at Myer for the same money AND earn Myer One points!)
You can only guess what I did on Sunday then.
I walked out happy. I came home happy. I used my processor happily.
The pasta I made and cooked yesterday was delicious! The machine worked a dream and I cannot wait to make spaghetti next time!
Ahh...the life of a Domestic Goddess. Just call me Nigella.
Ahh...the life of a Domestic Goddess. Just call me Nigella.
11 comments:
Man Melody......here is a moment where I'd pay good money to have you as a neighbor. Making your own pasta? I'd be dropping by every other day just to see what you might be cooking up. To a guy like me who does well to get the frozen pizza in the oven this is very impressive!
Hello Nigella. I bought a food processor for the first time a few months ago. What a toy! I love it!
I knew that the link was going to Prue & Trude. Graysh! (The BBC has just started showing Season 3 K&K, can you believe it. I'm still watching it though and laughing my head off.)
I agree with Sarch! I want to be in your neighborhood (not just for homemade pasta, but because other than having like the deadlist fauna in the world, who wouldn't want to live in Australia?? I would LOVE to see the beach!!).
I've never had homemade pasta before, but I can imagine it is heavenly! You should be proud of your domestic skills....I can barely operate a microwave.
Anyway, Michele sent me to say hello to you today, and I'm glad she did, I've never seen your blog before...I'm going to have a blast reading through it!
It's always great to have new toys :)
I'm sure your pasta was delicious adn I am glad you were firm with the store. I couldn't agree more about the appearance of the store assistant. It seems good customer service is often a rare thing these days.
I just wanted to thank you for your kind comments on my blog. I have been incredibly upset but it meant alot that people like you reached out. {{{hugs}}}
You are such an ambitious cook. Enjoy the new toy. Good for you for doing some research first.
Our toys just change as we get older, don't they?
I just bought a tupperware food processor that works by hand. Then I had to make pesto just so that I could use it!
Wow, Nigella indeed! I love my food processor and use it heaps. I'm kind of desperate for a mix-master - we got one from e-bay but it's not so great. But I need a new house with more kitchen cupboards (7 doesn't really cut it!) before I can add any more toys to my collection.
New toys are fun (whatever your passion) and getting a bum toy really stinks. Glad you got it resolved.
BTW - thanks for visiting and I will try to bump up our reading curriculum. 1000 books you say...
Anyway, I also wanted to point out your link gets a little wonky because that site insists on using 'www'. Try this link instead. http://www.kathandkim.com/threw.htm
I am SOOOO impressed! I love to cook, too (got a food processor for Christmas and adore it) but don't have the time and patience to do all that stuff anymore. Besides, the Short People are picky eaters and I have a hard time coming up with menus that are 1)healthy, 2)relatively quick, 3) something the grownups like, and 4) something the Short People will touch. I am amazed at your culinary feats and would love to know how you find the time. Great work, Melody!
You made your own pasta? Girl??? I could not do that. I wouldn't even know where to start. Now pizza dough I've done but even those cup in those little envelopes.
As for Bob-kat (below) that just broke my heart into.
I am most amazed that you have made do without a food processor before now! How?
I love my food processor - although it is now 8 years old so the plastic bits are starting to show wear and tear.
I once shared with a friend and we had 2 Oscar food processors - it was bliss!!
Post a Comment