Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Little Miss Spreader

First of all she started helping me do the laundry, then it was vacuuming and now it seems as if Monet likes to make her own breakfast and lunch. Well, sort of.
I have trouble getting Monet to eat certain foods, especially around dinner time. We've tried cutting our vegetables into shapes, into people...


...etc but nothing seems to work. She's fussy. Trust me. I so wish she wasn't, but I know in time she'll (hopefully) eat foods she now even refuses to taste. She won't even eat hot chips as we told her it was potato and wasn't that a mistake? Rice is pretty big on the menu around here but even last night she said she didn't like rice. But she did eat it. (I think she was testing me!)

All this coming from a little girl who would bend over backwards to get her hands on an olive! Loves them. She gets mighty excited if she sees on her dinner plate a few olives alongside her dinner.

Upon reading Nigella Lawson's 'How To Eat', which I received as a parting gift from an old work place back in 2003, Nigella suggests getting children to help prepare meals and the like so then they might just eat what they helped prepare. I'm pretty good at getting her to help out in the kitchen with baking and the like but I had noticed lately that Monet is going off her morning food. Not wanting cereal but wanting toast and then only eating half of it. Until this morning.

After me cooking the toast I got Monet to spread the butter on them and then her favourite vegemite.


She ate two full slices. She even made her own lunch. With help from me. And ate it all.

I could be on a winner here. *fingers crossed for dinner*

9 comments:

Unknown said...

My niece loves olives too. Even ones stuffed with Jalapeno peppers! I went through an 'eating only rice with butter' phase when I was about four. And now I'm a veggie. It used to annoy me greatly when my mum would put a pile of veg on my plate and demand that it be eaten - that was the way to ensure that it One one occasion she insisted on my eating some green beans, I puked onto my plate straight away afterwards and she never used to demand quite so much after that.

jeanie said...

I have just spent a week with my sister and her family. Her daughter is 2 2/3 - and she eats 4 things. Cereal (only one brand at a time, but the brand currently is nutri-grain - it used to be weet-bix), honey sandwiches, fish fingers and bacon.

I "solved" my daughter's eating dictatorship by inventing a character "Monster Mummy" who I was a scared of as she, so we would get 10 mouthfuls of anything eaten to dissuade her from visiting and imitate fireworks when the task was completed.

Hey - whatever works - and I am setting up a fund for her therapy in the future.

Ms Mac said...

Ahhhh, Nigella! Is there anything she can't do? I *heart* her!

Marie said...

Such a sweet face!!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

It is amazing how early little ones develop likes and dislikes and a sense of "taste" and style!
Those pictures are adorable...especially that second one....You can see how hard she worked, right there on her cheek! (lol) Very Sweet!

Kiki said...

Aren't they funny with taking on responsibility..good on you (and Monet). I know how frustrating it can be so I hope this continues...I did have to laugh about her not eating hot chips, that is funny.

Bobkat said...

I love olives too. I will often buy a tub from the deli and eat them all like sweets!

I think you might be onto a winner there. Fingers (sticky ones!) crossed!

Love the pics :)

Delane said...

Good for her. She does like that vegemite doesn't she?

Anonymous said...

I hope it continues to work for you. Kids can be so fickle about food. I refused to fight about food with mine when they were growing up (mostly because I am incredibly fussy!)