(Half belong to our to our local library!)
There is nothing like knowing what we want to see, where we want to go and how much it's going to cost.
I'm also stroller researching. Can anyone tell me what the Maclaren Volo one is like?

Will it cater to a 110cm high, 16 kilo, 3 year old? By all my researching on the net it seems it will, but if anyone has any personal experience with one please say... (By the sounds of it, it folds well, is easy to carry over your shoulder, is comfortable, easy to push) We're not going to buy it here, because the thought of 3 suitcases, 3 carry-on bags, a 3 year old AND a stroller in the mix, in an international airport does nothing to soothe me! We're going to buy it in London and will mainly be used to roam the streets of that city.
Anyway, you don't want to hear all about that...
If you want to read something that makes you go 'Ewww', read this. It made me cringe.
And to keep us all on our toes up in this corner of Australia, there is a Cyclone brewing in the Coral Sea, still a fair distance from here and moving a very slow 5 kilometers per hour. May I present to you Tropical Cyclone 'Guba' (yes, Guba!)....

It's not a threat to us (at the moment) but is partly to blame for the crappy weather over the last few days (raining on and off and wind). This Cyclone is apparently the first of many this season. As long as there isn't one on or near April 17th, I'll be happy!!
11 comments:
I did not click on your ewwww link. I read the title of the article and that was enough for me!
I hope that cyclone stays away - only because I never want to have to say 'our house was wiped out in Guba' Ewwww
Tracey - I couldn't believe the name of the Cyclone either! What a gross name... (Your comment made me laugh!)
I read that 'eww' article online last night and nearly tossed my cookies.... FOUL !
As for the stroller, it looks fine - but why not get a cheap generic Target-brand 'umbrella style' collapsible.
Cheap, rugged, does the job, and really isn't a prob to travel with...
H&B - We bought a Target-brand umberalla stroller when we were in Brisbane for a few days and to say the least, it was crap. Lyndon and I are rather tall so we were kinda pushing it humped back and was just a terrible experience all up. It also had no place to 'carry' stuff. As we are planning on doing lots of kilometers we want one that will go the miles comfortably. It will be purchased in London and it will stay in London and handed onto one of my sister's girlfriends. That's the plan anyway.
Melody, we've had 2 MacLarens - a destroyer-class one we bought when our older daughter was born (roughly equal to the current Techno XT) and a Volo that we got when she was perhaps about 8 months old... the Volo is still going strong 4.5 years later. We used it when we went to Scotland in September for carting around our younger daughter, who's a little smaller than Monet but not much.
I can't say enough good things about the Volo. We tried the "use a crap disposable buggy" approach in Reykjavik and the bloody thing was falling apart after 36 hours. By contrast, the Volo is incredibly light and incredibly durable - ours has been gate checked on multiple flights and has never shown a hint of flex or bending. It took the cobbles in the old Town in Edinburgh with no trouble. The mesh seat isn't going to keep Monet sheltered from the wind, but it's part of why it's comfortable to ride in.
So there.
It's great you have all these books, my dear....Exciting planning this trip, I know...I know nothing about tht stroller, I am sorry to say....And, I hope and pray the Cyclone stays far far far away from you all....
BTW: It concerns me for your little one that your husband smokes---even though it isn't a lot. And it's not good for you either. Second hand smoke is really really bad...So, however little he smokes, you are smoking right along with him, I'm sorry to say....I hate to be the bearer of this kind of news...BUT, your dear little girls lungs are so very important, especially at her young age...Don't mean to preach. Just inform, in case you don't know this.
Colin - thanks, you've convinced me. SOLD.
OOLOTHs - Yeah, second hand smoke isn't good. One thing is Lyndon only puffs away outside, never around food, NEVER indoors. He isn't a big smoker, but a smoker all the same. Disgusting. You reading this Lyndon? *wink wink*
Cyclones? Well it is just bloody beautiful here in Gippsland this week....so apparently you don't get all the good stuff.
Strollers. Well I'd love to be able to help but you know me...I've got nada there.
Lyndon smoking? Well not sure where that came from but he's definately lost a few browny points from me now and I haven't even met him yet. Get over it Lyndon!
Leisa.
I don't think I could get through those books. You are more patient than me. But I would like to get some Italian tapes to learn before we go to Tuscany and Rome in the next few years. I have all these places I want to see. I just wished people like Americans more. If only they could see how nice I really am and that I don't support Bush at all. But in some places it is dangerous for us right now and Martin just won't go.
A cyclone already! May I just say that some people in this household are somewhat jealous (and no, it's not me - he's somewhat taller, hair-ier and might answer to 'hubby').
Re: the stroller. I don't have a clue about the one you're looking at but we bought a cheapo from Target too and, while it's still going strong, I'm not terribley tall and even I have to half bend over to push the ruddy thing. If I'm wearing the slightest heel I come home all bent up and more-than-mildly crazed. Is there a cheap-ish version that is somewhat taller?
I have no idea on the Volo but I have a Maclaren Quest and love it to bits, well...the girls do :-)
Oh and So does The Big Fella being 6ft2.
So I'd say you are definitely making an investment in buying one, look..you might even find a cheap Quest or Techno XT on ebay.co.uk that you could grab when you arrive and then re-sell it whilst there? Easy peasey..
Now I know what you meant on FB by saying you were "watching Guba" LOL, I haven't been watching any news or weather this week. Funny how it's incredibly hot in Victoria though...our weather pattern seems to have swapped as it's quite cool here at the moment.
Post a Comment