We've been looking at the world globe and our atlas and plotting and planning. We both have certain places we want to visit. We know that we will probably start off with 5 days in London town, hopefully hanging most of the time with Kimbofo (we don't need any ideas on what to do in regards to London, because I've already been there twice and Lyndon once, though if you have any ideas about where to take a 3 1/2 year old, please speak up!).
Then we are keen to go over to mainland Europe.
Paris is a must...
...(even though we've been before, we want to revisit - even for a day) followed closely by a visit to Giverny to Monet's Garden as it has been a regret of mine since our previous visit in 2000. We know that Belgium is a must (hello!!) and the Autobahn in Germany because if I hear Lyndon banging on about that road once more...*heehee* I would also dearly love to meet Ms. Mac in Switzerland, who has already invited us around for lunch. (Ain't she lovely?)
So with a possible 10 days up our sleeves on the mainland, can anyone else offer us any information or 'must do's', keeping in mind we'll have a youngster with us? Lyndon is pretty keep to on visiting Legoland in Copenhagen, but can someone tell me what the one in Windsor (UK) is like? (It probably doesn't compare with the original and the best!) A visit through Amsterdam is also on the cards. (Now, I wonder who wants to go there? Hmmm *Melody scratches her head*)
We then will return to London for another 5/6 days. All in the planning stage so far, so...Ideas people, IDEAS!!!
I'll make sure I have a beer on your behalf in some European establishment next year...
*sigh*
14 comments:
Prague is my favourite European city. MB was a bit younger then, but i'd still take him now. It's a *very* cheap flight from London, and accomodation is first-rate for little $$.
I always book our accom through eurocheapo.com, and recommend this site to all. I'm always thanked.
You can get to stay in unique places in the heart of the action. Beats those generic worldwide hotels any day....
H&B - thanks for the heads up - great site. Will come in handy, that's for sure...
My daughter will be just 152 km from Paris while you are there!
We went to Legoland in SanDiego and it was fantastic. Monet will LOVE it.
Your trip sounds like it's going to be wonderful!If you go to belgium Brussels is nice but Bruges is lovely, very picturesque adn you can do a tour of the oldest brewery in Bruges. Prague is fantastic also and also Vienna (which has a wonderful zoo at the Schonburg palace and is great for kids as well as adults). I have pics on my blog of Prague and of Vienna:
http://bobkatshouse.blogspot.com/2006/06/czech-this-out-some-more.html
http://bobkatshouse.blogspot.com/2007_10_01_archive.html
There are more posts about Vienna from this Sept and Oct.
Wherever you go I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Are you going to venture out of London whiel you are in the UK?
I agree with h&b, Prague is wonderful, although my favourite European city is probably Rome - visually stunning and wonderful, wonderful food.
If you fancy getting away from the city you're always extremely welcome here - we could take Monet to go and see some Cantabrian Brown Bears being fed for a start. And there are lots of cows, chickens, horses, goats around here that she could meet too. Plus the beer is cheap - something for everyone!
Yes, I'd second raelha's comment about Rome, a lot of great things to see in a small area and maybe Naples - Pompeii, Sorrento, Isle of Capri, Vesuvius all very close together and some of the most frightening driving on the planet - rent a car at your peril !
Sigh.... beautiful Roma! So many lovely suggestions! Don't you wish you could just spend all your life travelling?
Beautiful Rome is a must, also the Legoland in Windsor is supposed to be fantastic my friend took her kids there and they loved it.
Cant believe you are coming over here we MUST meet up it would be amazing to see you again!
Lynne
Surely a trip to Glasgow is in order now we are hosting the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
It will probably rain the whole time you are here but its a beautiful city!
I don't know much about European hot spots. :( I would love to visit Ireland.
Hi, Michele sent me to say hello.
Vienna is lovely - like one big cake covered in cream.
Copenhagen is great and very child-friendly - but expensive. Legoland is on the other side of Denmark.
engelsk - I *heart* your description of Vienna. Very inviting indeed. I think we've scraped the idea of Denmark...
Well, as you can see, I am having a bit of a browse through your blog! Rob (hubbie) & I have this very trip planned for a couple more years down the track!!! At the top top TOP of my list is Paris! You must be so beside yourself to be doing such a magnificent trip, I am sure your little one will have great fun too!! Sigh! Lucky girl!!! I will definately be back to see how your itinerary develops!
I took a 20 month old and an 8 year old to Legoland Windsor and they both had a ball. It's great for younger kids. Some of the queues for the older kids' rides were a bit long though. Easy to get to via train from Waterloo to Windsor(and then a connecting shuttle bus).
Another must visit in London for someone Monet's age is the Princess Diana Memorial Playground in Kensington Gardens. Very imaginative.
Post a Comment