Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sometimes You Forget.

Sometimes you forget just how lucky you are. Sometimes I forget just how lucky I am. I live in a great apartment in a lovely suburb in the corner of a fantastic country. I have all mod cons, I have fresh running water and I am generally a happy, healthy person.

Above all I have my own little family. A wonderful life partner who provides for us, and a gorgeous, healthy, happy daughter. If I had a dollar for every time I was asked if I was having another child I would be a very wealthy woman. Trust me. I tell people I am blessed to have one child and think it is no one elses business if we are wanting another child or not. That's our business.

I was told today by our bestest friends, that the baby they were expecting next year was lost. I have cried a bucketful of tears for a child that will not witness just what fabulous parents, relatives and friends it was to have. I am lost. I thank my lucky stars for my life and my child.

8 comments:

Tracey Petersen said...

I am so sorry for your friends. You are so right to mourn the loss. They will need your support as significant dates arise throughout next year. Thinking of them...

Anonymous said...

I have had friends and family members have miscarriages, too. It's very sobering.

You are lucky, indeed.

As for the questions about the second, it's amazing what people will ask. Now that I'm pregnant for the third time you wouldn't believe how many people immediately ask me if it was planned when I tell them I'm pregnant. They also ask if we were going for a boy. Or if I want a boy. I love it when people simply say, "Congratulations!:

Kiki said...

Oh Melody, I don't check back here often enough. I'm terribly saddened by this news, like you I think of what that dear child will miss. I hope you can offer comfort for your friends, are they near or in Melbourne?

Cry some more...that's your offering, lots of tears.

And...just tell those asking about another baby to "F off" they'll soon get the message. I wonder if Monet will start to ask you and Lyndon though?

Bobkat said...

I am so very sorry to hear about your friends loss and hope you can find comfort in your family while being there for your friends.

As for other people asking about your plans for family, you are quite right it is none of their business. If I had a pound for every time I was asked about having children and then told what I should do I would also be very rich. Aren't they annoying?!

Anonymous said...

Wait until you get to my age and then they finally stop...well sometimes a few say, "Aren't you sure you and MArtin don't want a baby?" It can be annoying.

I really hate that for your friend. I cannot imagine how painful that would be and I know they must be heartbroken, especially the mother. I don't think people actually realize how hard that is when you have carried a living being in your body and then you don't get to even meet them.

Anonymous said...

I constantly get asked when I am going to start a family, often by people I barely know or have only just met.

The other question I constantly get asked is when am I going to get married to T.

Sometimes it feels like people just want to see a ring on my finger and a babe in my arms. Why can't they understand I am perfectly happy with my life as it stands!!

Melody said...

Kimbofo - I know Deana (above) gets asked all the time too. People are never satisfied. Never. I just say we are having one and that's it. It really shuts them up because a lot of people think you should never have 1 child, you 'MUST' have 2. What happens if nature only intended me to have 1?

Girl About Town said...

As a parent of an only child, I really REALLY hate it when I get that 'when's the next one coming along' question. I can't believe people ask that!

I am so sorry to hear about your friends' loss. :(