Monday, November 26, 2007

You Are Amazing

As parents we know how our children really do amaze us at times, especially when they are little. It is amazing just how they do things, maybe being shown something once and it is never forgotten. Sometimes you wonder how they know things when they haven't even been taught. They just pick things up.

Being a 24/7 mum, I basically know what she has learnt from other children, other adults, books, television etc., so when Monet comes out with a particular word, for example, I struggle at times to wonder where she picked it up from.

Lately Monet has been enjoying colouring-in. Attempting to anyway. She's got a small container of crayons that get a good workout on some days (and lay idle on others.) We have about a zillion scrapbooks with pictures, shapes and photos she has glued down and pages where she's gone berserk with a found pen. (Oh, how much do little children love pens??)

The other night Monet was sitting on the couch with her 'etch-a-sketch' doing drawings of mum and dad.


(The animal shapes are not lost from this 'etch-a-sketch' - we still have them after 18 months!)

The concentration was something else...


That was last week.

Last night was something that amazed us. She sat at her 'picnic' table with light-green crayon in hand and blank scrapbook and did these...


In case you can't quite figure it out (sorry about that, she could have at least done them in black!), that's me on the left hand side with Monet below followed by Lyndon on the other page. We've got two eyes, a nose and mouth each, two arms and two legs. I have not shown her how to draw 'people' as such, animals, yeah, but humans, no. So we sat there amazed that within a week she has gone from doing kind of blobs to pictures of mum and dad that even I can remember doing when I was a kid.

I'm amazed anyway, even if you're not.

7 comments:

LBA said...

I hear you - I say exactly the same things - because i'm also with mine 24/7 .. there is just no way of explaining some things !

They are *great* portraits - i'd be happy too !!!

i got a drawing of a snail yesterday that looked like a snail too.

Naturally, I was thrilled :) :)

Girl About Town said...

They are amazing, aren't they?

Like you, I sometimes wonder how Holly knows so much! She is like a little sponge, learns everything so quickly, it's not even learning - one minute it's completely alien, and the next minute it's part of her! Just like that!!

Love this age!!!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am AMAZED, too! I find that very very exciting....I hope she just keeps drawing and drawing and pasting, etc....There is nothing like the expression through "art"...! I understand yur amazement and echo it, too!

The Turmanators said...

She seems like a very expressive and inuitive girl. Perhaps she will follow in the footsteps of that other Monet?

India started reading the other night right out of the blue. She is almost 5 and a half so it's not early, but it was cool how it happened in literally about 15 minutes. She was so proud and excited that the light bulb went off!

As much as they drive us crazy sometimes, we are truly lucky, lucky Moms to be able to watch them grow on a daily basis. Remind me of that when I b*tch about the Short People, okay?

jeanie said...

Oh its amazing when they jump ahead and BAM - another milestone knocked over!

It is also a terminal wait until they figure out that bodies should go in the bits between the head and the limbs...

Anonymous said...

Fantastic work!

Good on you for being the kind of parent who has let her develop at her own pace. She'll be a fabulous learner when whe's ready.

Delane said...

It happens so fast sometimes doesn't it. Very nice post.