I'm not one to know names of plants so I have no idea what most of these are called. All I know is that they all grow in tropical climates. A lot of the plants are species from Papua New Guinea and Asia but I do have to say, most of them are lovely...
Check out the flower on this plant...
My mum ohhed and ahhed over that flower, after all, it's not everyday you see something as magnificent!
(That's my dad taking photos and my mum probably pointing to some plant she's never seen before!)
One thing with tropical 'flowers' is the majority of them are fabulously bright, especially against the lush green leaves (bar the above 'dark flower')...
The next flower we thought was a tropical kind of 'Waratah'...
The Gardens looked so healthy, so green and best thing? So quiet! Except for the roar of airplanes taking off from the airport across the road every 10 minutes! *heehee* There weren't many people around so it was like having the tropical oasis to yourself. In fact, it was so quiet it was like you were in someone's personal tropical backgarden.
I need to visit there more often. Monet *loved* it. She loved reading the little description plaques beneath the plants and making up what they read.
"If you catch a Butterfly, catch it and let it go"
"If you see Dora say 'Swiper no swiping'" (you need to know Dora the Explorer to understand that one!)
"Tell Boots that Dora's catching butterflies"
"If you cross a bridge, find a butterfly"
Sure they didn't make sense but we all got good giggles out of them.
If you're ever in town make a special outing to visit these Botanical Gardens, you'll find them fascinating. Just take some Insect Repellent with you!
9 comments:
This garden looks wonderful along with all the other places you post about in your area. I would love to visit the area sometime adn it's allbecause of your blog that it's on my list!
I saw a programme on TV the other day about Brits that want to emigrate to Oz and one family were looking at Caines. It looked wonderful and they showed the beaches and the town itself.
Your photo's are fabulous and I love the one of the pink flower - how incredible is that bloom?!
Bob-Kat - thank you! Cairns is a beautiful section of Australia - very unique, but then all other parts of Oz are fabulous too. I'm pretty grateful for having the opportunity to move and live where we do. There are so many gorgeous places to explore and discover - hoping for a day drive tomorrow if the rain stays away... (stay tuned!)
All these pictures are so wonderful....That first flower is truly extrordinary in every way....Shape, desifn, colors...GORGEOUS! I remember it from your post about these Gardens....But truly, each of these flowers is so gorgeous---so exotic and fantastic...! They look good enough to eat...lol! Is there a book about this Garden? I must Google it! Thanks for always sharing these wonderful places for those of us who might never get there...It Is A Real Treat!
OOLoTHs - Yes, there is a book available, but I have a feeling it can be only purchased hre in Cairns. I could be wrong...
I like Monet's interpretations of the signs the best.
I love that flower that looks like a jellyfish hovering over the leaves - amazing - i've never seen anything like it !
And how good do those red hot pokers look against your yummy blue blog blackground ?
Wonderful photos, and very creative interpretations too.
You live in such beauty! I like the hot poker looking flowers, very cool. I wish I had some for my garden but I am guessing they wouldn't survive our climate.
OH wow, I would love to see that for real some day...what great pics!!
Post a Comment