Maybe I could make an income by being a tour guide. Na, only kidding. But I have done this tour a few times now.
Yesterday morning, with a picnic basket in the back, loaded with cool drinks, ham, cheese, lettuce, gourmet tomato spread and fresh crusty bread, along with the picnic essential (ie. potato chips), with Monet and Grandma in the back and Grandad beside me, the Subaru was off through the Kuranda range and headed towards Atherton.
Our first stop was the little place called Rocky Creek, not far before Atherton. There is situated a War Memorial Park and knowing that my dad is a World War Fanatic I thought he'd appreciate the stop there. I appreciated it too. It was so peaceful and picturesque.
The site was originally a hospital used in 1943-45, where patients were bought here from the South Pacific battles. The area of the Atherton Tablelands was the biggest military base in Australia and by placing this memorial park where it is, is a great reminder...
A couple hundred granite rocks with plaques on them dedicated to mainly military units, but also other units who are remembered in the World Wars (Salvation Army etc.,). One of the plaques bears the inscription of "You are here today because of where we were yesterday". Those words could not ring more true.
Yesterday morning, with a picnic basket in the back, loaded with cool drinks, ham, cheese, lettuce, gourmet tomato spread and fresh crusty bread, along with the picnic essential (ie. potato chips), with Monet and Grandma in the back and Grandad beside me, the Subaru was off through the Kuranda range and headed towards Atherton.
Our first stop was the little place called Rocky Creek, not far before Atherton. There is situated a War Memorial Park and knowing that my dad is a World War Fanatic I thought he'd appreciate the stop there. I appreciated it too. It was so peaceful and picturesque.
The site was originally a hospital used in 1943-45, where patients were bought here from the South Pacific battles. The area of the Atherton Tablelands was the biggest military base in Australia and by placing this memorial park where it is, is a great reminder...
A couple hundred granite rocks with plaques on them dedicated to mainly military units, but also other units who are remembered in the World Wars (Salvation Army etc.,). One of the plaques bears the inscription of "You are here today because of where we were yesterday". Those words could not ring more true.
Here, Monet enjoyed "map reading" once more...
If you are ever on The Kennedy Highway between Atherton and Mareeba it is certainly worth a stop. And you never know, you just may be spied upon when in the toilet by one of these, like I was...
Talk about give me a fright, right at the wrong moment! *heehee*
From there we visited the Cathedral Fig Tree (again) and then we went up to Lake Eacham for a picnic lunch, much to Monet's delight! My girl loves picnics!!
We walked around a little after our picnic, watched the young locals jumping into the lake (something I could never imagine myself doing at that age!)...
...we walked to the Turtle Viewing Platform. By the looks of it there were turtles below...
There was, but they were too hard to photograph so I gave it a miss... But it was nice to actually see the turtles swimming about since last time we visited the lake we couldn't see any.
Back in the car we drove down to Millaa Millaa Falls, which was showing off. Loads of water and only a few other people there. Monet was very keen to take her shoes off and paddle in the water by the creek after she spotted a group of 4 Japanese tourists doing the same.
The 150 kilometre trip back to Cairns, via the Bruce Highway was good. The road was quiet and the weather started to turn. We had done our tour just in time. Phew!
Even though we were gone for over 6 hours and I drove about 315 kilometres (something I hadn't done in a long time!) I found myself not to be at all tired like I thought I would be. I even came home and cooked a Roast for dinner, which was enjoyed by all.
Maybe the Red Bull which I had in the morning really worked for me. *yeah, right!*
Even though we were gone for over 6 hours and I drove about 315 kilometres (something I hadn't done in a long time!) I found myself not to be at all tired like I thought I would be. I even came home and cooked a Roast for dinner, which was enjoyed by all.
Maybe the Red Bull which I had in the morning really worked for me. *yeah, right!*
8 comments:
That green frog is adorable, we're really lucky having them as "neighbours" aren't we?!
Has anyone ever told you Monet has really cute hands? Just the way she's pointing there in that pic, I love her little hands.
I've got a thing about hands...I tell you who else has nice hands...it's Curtis Stone (chef), mmmmm, adorable hands. Have a look at them next time you're watching 'Surfing The Menu'. I can't remember any recipes now because all I'm ever doing is watching THOSE hands.
http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/shows/show.asp?id=204
Kikimiss - oh how you make me laugh outloud!!
Lucky you had your camera with you in the toilet!!!!
LOL at you and whipping out the camera in the loo ( i hope you pulled your pants up first ! )
And my God, is Monet tall for her age, or is it just the pics ?
The boy's about the same age and is 110cm, what's Monet ???
Wow Melody that sounds like a fantastic trip. I'll bet your family enjoys visiting you folks. That is a lot of work touring people around. My hats off to you.
Love the pics.
That sounds like yet another fantastic day trip. How lucky are you to live where you are? :)
Your pics are great! I love the one of Monet with the big sandwich and the big smile!
That Park is very Beautiful and I lOVE the stones all around like that...Thank you Melody for sharing all these beautiful special places there near where you live....It is a real treat and I feel like I am a "tourist", in a way!
Wow! That's quite a daytrip.
I love that pic at the turtle viewing - all those bums lined up!!
Post a Comment