I think the Australian media has gone into a frenzy today, with the news breaking here at 7:45AM (Queensland time). My SIL text me as she saw the news breaking on one of the morning shows here in Australia. Because Queensland is an hour behind both N.S.W and Victoria, we get programs recorded live in these states an hour later. I quickly flipped the channel over to Sky News on Austar. It is hard to sort out the 'true' facts when news is breaking and filtering out in bits and pieces. All I know is that the world has lost a handsome, young and talented actor (who happened to be Australian who 'did well'). His latest role in the new Batman movie has been said to be his best yet. I've 'Google'-d images from this movie and he looks very, very creepy. *shudder* They are saying he plays 'The Joker' better than Jack Nicholson did in the first Batman Flick (when was that movie - 1989?)
Today I am wearing my much loved Shem Watson T-Shirt. My designer t-shirt I bought off the actual designer whose studio was in the 1st story of a Chapel Street (in Melbourne) building. He was one of Heath's best mates.
I remember seeing photos of Heath with (then girlfriend) Naomi Watts, wearing 'Shem' designed t-shirts. Heath was photographed many times wearing this t-shirt, in support of his designer friend, apparently one of his closest friends. After doing some of my own research I walked into the designer's studio in Chapel Street (we were living in close proximity to here, back in 2002) with determination I was going to buy one of the t-shirts, no matter at what cost.
I wasn't actually expecting to meet Shem, but I did. It happened that he was working on that Saturday morning in his studio. He introduced himself and I felt star-struck. Silly, I know, but I did. He shook my hand, asked how I knew about his designs ("Heath of course") and tried on some t-shirts. He told me how he did the t-shirts, each one was individually screen printed. It cost me $90 but I have worn it so many times over the past 5 years, it is only now starting to feel a little sad with some holes appearing around the neck line. It is one piece of clothing I don't think I will part with.
Rest in Peace Heath.
*sigh*
13 comments:
I actually gasped when I read the news of Heath Ledger's death, it was so unexpected. I keep thinking of his poor daughter who will grow up without her father.
This is the first I have heard of it. To be honest, I know very little about him -- have never seen anything he's acted in, nor any interviews etc. I'm just out of the Hollywood movie loop these days.
When I heard it this morning I just couldn't believe it, so unbelievable. His poor family.
I was never a huge fan of Heath Ledger, although I do concede he was a very good actor. We were in the audience of The Panel once when he was being interviewed, seemed like a pretty regular guy to me. I think it's exceptionally sad that he leaves behind a 2 year old daughter, how horrible that she will never know her father.
I heard the news this morning (while I was in Perth) driving to a meeting. I was absolutely shocked - I love(d) Heath Ledger. He's a Perth boy, great actor, cute too, and way too young for me to fancy but I still did. I was really impressed with the Perth media. Each of the radio stations made a big deal about him being from Perth and that his family still live there so they (the stations) would be sifting through the information carefully and only reporting what they could confirm. They reported on it all morning but didn't sensationalise it or hype it up.
Thankfully I am not the only one who found it ironically eerie that Heath died on Michael's birthday. I think partly why I had always been intrigued with Heath was because he did remind me of Michael in a way. So here he is, gone on Michael's birthday, leaving a yuong daughter behind to have to learn about her father through friends and family instead of being there with her. It is so tragic and a bit overwhelming.
May he rest in peace.
I was devastated. He was one of my favorite guys. I just liked him. It pisses me off the way the US media jumped guns on suicides when now they are saying he had pnemonia and the only pills were his sleeping pills and the ones for pnemonia. You shouldn't start rumors and hurt families until you know the truth. He will be missed. He was working very hard from what I've read and was tired. I love the t-shirt you're wearting.
Oh Melody I forgot to tell you that I tagged you for the Love/Hate meme. If you get a chance to do it.
I found out the same way - only now do I realise that it was probably an hour later - d'oh!
Didn't realise the Michael Hutchence connection, though.
I think I would keep that shirt forever, too!
So very sad that this talented young man is dead....They said he had phneumonia...And I wondrr if that is what killed him, you know? The media are sooo terrible here...the squeeze anything and everything out of a story that isn't yet, except that this young man is dead----with no thought to his family or his friends or anyone close to him...! To me, that is worse than anything these days...And it is Shameful.
I love that Shem was such a dear pal of Ledger's and one's heart goes out to him, too, of course.
His wife/girl friend and child....One's heart goes out to them, too, as well as his parents. The pain of their loss is almost unimagineable. 28 years old and gone.
A.O. Scott has a lovely tribute to Heath Ledger in The New York Times late today....!
It is indeed tragic that he died so young.
Got here from Michele today.
It is such a tragic loss and I dislike the media circus that has surrounded his death. I agree with OOLOTH- I feel for his family.
I can totally see why you would keep that T-Shirt, how great to have an original item like that!
BTW - I ma tickled pink that you would like to say hi in person. Let me know when things are scheduled for you and I will see how I am fixed too :)
Just checking up on you Melody. Everything ok?
Post a Comment