Monday, March 10, 2008

Big Day Out

Saturday saw me waking early and catching the 6am flight from Cairns to Brisbane airport. A two hour journey. I caught the Air Train into the city center, right at shop opening time.

I spent ages in the newly refurbished David Jones and browsing the flash designer dress stores. I lost myself in the Myer Center and all the arcades that Brisbane City Center has to offer.

Talk about a busy place to be on a Saturday. It seemed every second teenager was in the city Mall, along with older daughters and their mothers. I was amazed by how 'dressed up' a lot of the shoppers were. And I swear there are people out there who don't dress appropriately for their age (I think I've been watching too much of Susannah and Trinny!) Anything above the knee in skirts or dresses on women is a big no-no in my books. I probably say that because I have thighs like a truck, but I reckon that is a fair rule.

But anyway it was nice to go to stores, without worrying about Lyndon being bored and what Monet is up to. It was pretty much stress-free. And I honestly didn't buy much. The Credit card didn't even get a work out, remembering that we are heading on holidays in under six weeks time. It was a day out just for me. I wasn't keen on spending lots of cash.

I did think of my family at home though and bought Lyndon a book...

(we love the series shown being everywhere in Australia, except in Victoria, at the moment. But that is a separate post...)

...and I bought Monet something she's been wanting for ages...


...new Ballet slippers. Well, the closest thing to Ballet shoes, Jiffy slip-ons. I don't think they have left her feet since I gave them to her.

I bought myself something too, which I'll show you further on down the track sometime! (That too is for another post!)

Back at the airport I relaxed with a beer at the Bar. I think I deserved to sit back and relax before my flight back to Cairns, which landed at 6:30pm...

I came home exhausted.

It has been such a long time since I 'pounded the pavement' for a good six hours and had over 4 hours worth of flights in one day. My feet were killing me as I put my feet up on the couch to watch telly. My calves ached (or were 'mooing' as I usually say) and yesterday my thighs were aching.

It was good practise for our upcoming holiday. I need to start some serious walking each day before we 'head off', let me tell you.

I had a nice day all up. It was nice to 'escape' my everyday life for 12 or so hours.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who wouln't love golden slippers!

Anonymous said...

or even wouldn't love them!

Kiki said...

They are great ballet slippers, my little one would love a pair too. I'll have to check Myer out when I'm there TOMORROW...yay for Miffy!! :-)

I know what you mean about having time away from your normal-everyday routine, fantastic fun.

Anonymous said...

Im still laughing at the way you said your calves were mooing, never heard that before.You had a great day,And i had a great day at chadstone on sunday.But then i had to drive home.Three hours driving, six hours shopping.

Anonymous said...

Ah jiffies are wonderful - 'Salina still pulls her silver ones on!

And happy birthday for last week! Haven't been around the blogosphere much of late, so am catching up very slowly. 35 is good - a nice age to start sponge baking.

Moon said...

Oh that sounds like a terrific day! I am back on my treadmill , having been lax, for the past cpl months...Since we too are off to europe next month, I decided to get back on the exercise train so I wouldnt be too tired with all the sight seeing we will be doing lol....I have also purchased some cute but comfy shoes for that ...but Monet's shoes are adorable...maybe since I am a Monet also...I can try something like that on also lol!!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good day.

I want that book you got Lyndon!!

(I also want the Mark Seymour book -- have you heard about it?)

Melody said...

Kimbofo - I'll get you that book if you like but no, I have heard (but haven't seen) the Mark Seymour book. I'll keep my eye out...

Delane said...

I'm glad the escape went well. I bet Monet was pretty excited when you came back with the slippers.

Bobkat said...

That sounds like a fab day and a great work out in preparation for your trip! Sometimes it's nice to get away on your own for a short time. Those ballet shoes are just so cute. I bet she looks lovely dancing around with her sparkly feet!