Friday, March 07, 2008

Opportunity

After bucket loads of rain, yesterday saw us bathed in sunshine for a couple of hours. It didn't rain constantly for a change. With our window of opportunity, Monet and I walked down the beach for a couple of hours, to dig, to play, to make 'snow men' and 'castles'...

It was nice to be outside for a change, where we sat under the shade of one of the large Mango trees that are along the shoreline and played. And dug. And drew in the sand. And did all those things Monet had been wanting to do for the last few days after being cooped up indoors.

We collected little rocks to decorate our sand castles...

...and made a pretend tray of Sand Teddy Biscuits which Monet decorated with flair.

After collecting the rocks back off the Teddy Bears Monet proceeded to stand at the shoreline with the rocks and threw them, one by one, into the hungry dirty, sandy water.

"The Ocean's hungry," she said, "so I'm feeding the Ocean. It's pretty hungry today!" I think she was right.


After running around, doing silly activities (such as seeing if she could jump up and down whilst rubbing her tummy, for example and Star Jumps), we walked home.

"Walk slower!", Monet kept demanding. I was walking slow so she could keep with those legs of hers. But she was exhausted. I had to carry her part of the way home. "I'm so exhausted!" she exclaimed.

I know she was exhausted because our usual 9pm girl, was fast asleep and tucked up in bed by 8pm last night.

I wish the rain would go away today... This weather is too unpredictable! It's doing my head in!!

11 comments:

LBA said...

cute bikkies and sandcastles !!

Star said...

Even the rocks are pretty in CAirns.

Anonymous said...

Very artistic sand castles.
Rain is getting to us too. Both dams are full to overflowing and the trees all well watered so a slow down can happen now, PLEASE.
We are in Edge Hill and the sound of lawn mowers today fills the sky. The sun is shining and I am using the clothes line for the first time in about three weeks.
Happy International Women's Day to you.

Alison said...

There's something so satisfying about sun and salt air!
I hope the rain moves on soon :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day Melody.

Monet is a lucky girl to have a Mom like you.

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

Beautiful photos. The mottled light through the mango tree lights that sand just wonderfully.

Deana said...

Oh I think it would be so nice to be that kind of exhausted you were as a child after a nice day out. You'd sleep so easily and be so rested. As an adult I tend to get too tired to sleep, not the same at all. I love that first picture...the lighting, the mood, very nice~

Red Dirt Mummy said...

I love the photos of your sandcastle and the teddy bikkies.
Sounds like a great (and timely!) change in the weather for you guys.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Great that you had those few hours on the beach...Those little rocks are such pretty ones...That Blue! Gorgeous! Monet has a wonderful way of putting things---"The Sea Is Hungry".....I Love That!
Wonderful pictures, Melody....

Bobkat said...

Now that does sound like it was a very hungry ocean! What a bust day for a little girl. Sound slike you both had a blast though after being cooped up.

I know how that feels as I've practically been a prisoner in my study or office these past couple of weeks!

Anonymous said...

We have finally seen the sun this weekend. I'm sure it will be back to you soon.

I hope that you have a happy birthdy and that you enjoy your day in Brisbane. Any thoughts of what you'll do? I assume you'll head into the city and give your plastic cards a bit of a workout.