I'm older than yesterday... (Thanks to Justine Clarke)
So today it is my 35th birthday. The big 3-5. I used to think that people who were this age were old. Really old. Ancient in fact. Obviously I don't think that any more. Because I know the truth...
I have been very spoilt this year from Monet and Lyndon for my birthday gift.

Return airfares to Brisbane for a day. A day just for me. Monet and Lyndon aren't going. It is just me. That is the best gift ever and very thoughtful too. (All Lyndon's idea - at first I thought he was joking, but he was serious!) It will be a long day with the plane leaving the Cairns tarmac at 6am and not arriving back to Cairns until after 6pm on the same day. But I will surely be enjoying myself. Even if I end up not buying anything in 'the big smoke' (*smirk*) I will have thouroghly enjoyed myself by doing what I want to do and browsing where I want to browse. This has not happened since pre-Monet days... I can't wait.
I have no plans today. Well, I did have plans to venture into Cairns Central to have a look around Esprit (thanks Marianne) and to buy Monet and I a Milk Shake each. A special treat for a special day, you understand. (Well, a special treat for me because I never get my own milk shake!) But those plans went straight out the window when I noticed a text message on my phone from Lyndon this morning (he leaves for work at about 5:45 each morning). "Road closed" it read. We've had 48 hours of CONSTANT rain here. 48 bloody hours of miserable weather. Wet weather.
Roads are closed, certain schools are closed for the day and the only University around here has closed. Flash flooding is to blame. I'm not going to risk going out (bar maybe a quick trip to the local supermarket - I need to buy party food on Monet's request) for the fact I might not be able to get home. I'm worried that even Lyndon might not even make it home late this afternoon.
Here is a photo from the local paper this morning of the Barron Falls, literally just up the road from me...

Still, I rather all this rain and flash floding as compared to last years birthday disaster. (You might remember we had problems with Miss Monet's back molars. I still *shudder* at the thought of that terrible time for us.)
16 comments:
How fantastic is that!!!! That is such a great surprise, how did he keep it from you? You will fall asleep on the return home no doubt, are you doing it on a week or weekend day?
PS: 35 is soooo not old and neither is 36 by the way ;-)
He didn't actually 'keep' it from me. I knew about it but it was still a lovely surprise because I never thought that I would get a gift like that... I'm pretty excited.
Happy Birthday!
Enjoy your day!
Happy birthday Melody! Have fun.
38 isn't old either. Is it?
Happy birthday to you, Melody. Have a wonderful day in spite of the rain!
Happy Birthday, Melody ! A bit wet down there, eh ? It's more than a bit moist around here at the moment (and we've got dirt roads just for extra fun). Have a good trip to Brissie - get a return trip on the air-train to Central station - way cheaper than the cabs especially at that time of day.
IanH - THanks for the heads up. I had already checked the airtrain out as we've caught it before. Easier and cheaper than taxis, that's for sure...
Happy Birthday Melody. Enjoy you day in Brisbane. I hope the weather will be better by then. Last night hubby abd I were talking about visiting his brother in San Diego , and hesaid maybe we should just go onto Hawaii from there. Then he said he has already been there ( I haven't) so maybe we should see Austrlia!
Happy Birthday, Melody! 35 isn't old, but next year... LOL
What a great present. Serious brownie points for Lyndon :)
Happy Birthday Melody! I hope you're having a great day!
Happy birthday, Melody! You're still a young babe... Enjoy your gift! and your day!
Happy birthday. Hope you got my text message. Card is in the post!
Enjoy your trip to Brissie! Have very fond memories of going to Brisbane city centre every Saturday -- used to treat myself to coffee and chocolate mud cake in a little cafe in the Myer Centre. Bet it's not there anymore. Sigh.
PS> I will be 40 (!!!!) next year. I can't quite believe it.
Kimbofo - yes got your text. Thanks. No card yet but since you sent it from the back of beyond and I live in the back of beyond it could take ages...
Really looking forward to my 'Big Day Out' *heehee* Brisbane has changed A LOT since your days, let me tell you. Loads of shops - not quite anywhere near Melbourne - but still, loads of shops.
My aim was to see you in London before you turned 40. I'm a year early. I can't believe I'm 35, let alone approaching 40, or you turning 40!
Happy Birthday Melody!
I took a photo of the Barron around 8 weeks ago, and was interested how many people commented on the amount of water it had flowing through it then. I wish I could see it now! Happy Birthday!
Post a Comment