Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Urgh...

Two words for you.  Bloody.  Optus.

This morning I was without a mobile phone, a home phone and (God-forbid) INTERNET.  With Lyndon down in South-East Queensland on business, I was worried that he wouldn't hear from me and wonder if I was okay.  Lucky I could make local calls on the home phone as I needed to make a doctor's appointment for my 'night-coughing' daughter.  

Apparently a major 'Optus' fiber optic cable had been cut on the border of New South Wales and Queensland, cutting our state off from the rest of Australia, those who use the Optus systems.  You can read the whole story here.  

It just made me wonder what did we do in the days before we communicated via phone and computers.  Did I actually go and buy a paper to read the headlines?  Probably.  Did I write letters to family back home and friends around the corner?  Probably.  

My phone isn't accepting phone calls, but I can text now, after five hours of No Service.  The Internet has only just come back on line (lucky I already knew The Pope had hit Sydney *snigger snigger*) and Lyndon rang the home phone about an hour ago to see how we were.  

Bloody Optus.  But at least they've given me something to blog about after a week of blogger's block.

8 comments:

Alison said...

LOL! I just spent a good hour or so swearing about not being able to access any blogspot pages - though everything else has been working fine (phone, net etc).
Yes - I wonder how we did cope before technology?

Moon said...

Its times like that we realize how dependant we have become on the net and our cell phones. We feel so unconnected literally lol.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

We get so accustomed to being able to reach everybody and anybodt whenever we want by ALL the means you mentioned...It is pretty horrid when it all isn't working...! And it is extremely STRESSFUL, too! OY!
Glad you could at least make local calls so you can get your little one to the doctor...Sorry to read about her 'night cough'.

Anonymous said...

Yep. I got an incoming call cancelling a meeting today. Could i please notify everyone? Sure, said I.

NOT.

Everyone showed up, and I was the bad guy. Even though everyone now knows about Optus - I was the one 'in charge'. Bassssssstards.

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Gee, I feel quite lucky having dial-up right now! Thanks, usually I'm bitching and moaning about it and driving Hubby crazy LOL.

Star said...

Yes. As they say. the cell phone I didn't own once, I cannot leave the house without, and should I forget it will turn around to retrieve it. Glad you are back in the game.

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

I reckon there would have been a fairly big "oops" when that contractor realised he had cut the cable!

Anonymous said...

It felt like the bloody dark ages!