Sunday, February 08, 2009

A Dubai Weekend

We decided on Friday morning to head north to Dubai for the weekend (remembering the working week here runs from Sunday to Thursday.)  We booked a room at the Premier Inn and off we went.  Monet was very excited - for her the prospect of a night away in a hotel is like Christmas for her!  (She's very hotel savvy, let me tell you!)

But before the hotel room beckoned, we had decided to visit Dubai Mall, which lies underneath the Burj Dubai, the tallest building in the world.  The Mall itself is home to over 2000 shops and restaurants and is one of the largest shopping malls in the world.  It seriously was an amazing place.  The below photo was taken before the crowds hit.


Where else could you find one of the world's biggest bookshops? (It kept going on and on and on....)


An ice rink?


An indoor waterfall?


An aquarium? (Now, that was amazing!)


It honestly blew us away but it is so big it is actually too big.  There is still a lot of shops to be opened in the near future so honestly, if you can't find what you were looking for here, you must have your eyes shut.  

By the time we had lunch (in the most amazing food court ever!), walked around, did a touch of shopping (not much but I did buy a couple of good cookbooks!) and on our way to find our hotel, it was past 4:30pm.  

Dubai roads seem to be a series of ring roads, on and off ramps, bridges and roundabouts.  After (finally) finding ourselves heading in the right direction I caught this snap of the Burj Tower from a distance with the sun setting...


The Premier Inn was great (we'll stay there again down the track I am sure).  It was relatively inexpensive, had a great little bar and a restaurant there and a coffee shop.  The room was not too dissimilar from the one we stayed at in London (which gave us good feeling - same prints on the walls and everything Lol!!) 

After breakfast in the morning we headed to the Emirates Mall for a wander around there.  We left a little while later to head home.  (Over shopping, but surprisingly, shoppers didn't annoy me, which usually happens!) 

Next time we head to Dubai, we have decided we'll go out onto Palm Island and explore some of the amazing architecture on foot, rather than doing drive-bys.  

5 comments:

Star said...

Now that is a mall! Is anything not larger than life there?

Kiki said...

WOW! So, so cool. All of it, your posts are dream-like to me.

How funny is your new banner pic?!! Love it.

Bobkat said...

What an amazing place! I am certain I would not know where to start! I love the waterfall and aquarium especially. So cool. I look forward to more pics of Dubai when you next visit there.

MissyBoo said...

I love your new banner too. Its just so... Abu Dhabi-ish :-)

Friends of mine just moved on to The Palm. Shame they couldn't have done it before my visit in November!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I cannot imagine a Mall with 2000 shops! I mean...it could take weeks and weeks to get to all of them...lol...And an Ice Rink and an Aquarium?? Everything is BIG BIG BIG there, isn't it?
It is strange Melody....Dubai seemed to come into World Conciouness only a few years ago...And that's all you hear about now. Do they have the people to support 2000 shops?? And where does the money come from? I should really read up about Dubai...But it does seem to be a place that has become a Press Agents delight! (lol)