Even though I live halfway around the other side of the world, I cannot help but feel effected by the devastation of the bushfires in country Victoria. The number of lives lost is shockingly high and that is just the human lives. I hate to think about all the livestock and other animals and birds that have also died during the past few days.
I grew up and have spent most of my adult life in Victoria. I love summer, I always have, but there were always things I did not like about summer, especially growing up in the country. My first fear would be the number of snakes you might see out in the garden basking in the sun (a little too close to the house), the influx of Huntsman spiders inside the house (*shudder*) and the constant threat of bushfires. As our family home is in an area where there is 'bush' aplenty, the smell of smoke or the sound of the local fire alarm whining would send shivers down one's spine.
I remember one dreadfully hot summer (back in like 1980 or something) when there was a roaring fire directly down the road from our family property. There was an immediate threat to our home and I remember my mum packing up the car (Datsun Sunny?) with photographs, our new doonas (!) and the family pets. Just in case.
We were well prepared for bushfire season from that summer onward. My dad would do his best to clear out the gutters regularly (a brave feat for a man who is scared of heights - sorry dad, spilling the beans there!), long grass was no longer an issue around the house, hoses were always on standby and the photo albums waited in a blue crate.
Fingers crossed that the area I know and love is never affected by bushfire.
My dad is a CFA (Country Fire Authority) volunteer, so any bushfire and he is usually there. He has the full kit (including the braces) and tries his best to be on standby most times. In times like these he is there doing the hard yards, with the thousands of other CFA volunteers across the state. These guys honestly risk their lives, this I know you know.
Reading article after article and watching on the television about the fires in Victoria is so very sad and shocking and I have shed many a tear.
If the shock and devestation of these stories filtering through wasn't enough to make me cry, (including the loss of Brian Naylor, old TV anchorman), the email I got in my inbox this morning was.
Remember a couple of weeks I mentioned that one of my cousins had taken his own life? Now I find out that on the weekend my younger cousin did a 'copycat' suicide. (Not a brother of the previous cousin, but a cousin like me.) I feel gutted, shocked, beyond words. I cannot understand this selfish act and are more upset for his parents, with whom we were once very close with (growing up wise). I know my sister too is upset and we are all in shock. My thoughts are currently with too many people, but especially Ron, Rae, Kate and my cousin's ex-wife, child and current life partner. :-(
Hug your child a little closer tonight. Thank our lucky stars we are all safe and well and pray (even if I am not the praying kind) for the victims of the Victorian bushfires.
18 comments:
It's just an awful time, isn't it?
I'll be thinking of your family-
It's all to tragic. I was wondering if your dad was out fighting fires and if your family home was safe.
Thinking of you xxx
I read about those terrible fres and thought od all those, like yourself, who are either from there or know the areas well....The devistation and loss of life is almost unimaginrable....
And to have two people so close to you kill themselves---I am so sorry to read of these terrible losses. One can only imagine the pain that drove each of them to this point....! My heart goes out to you, my dear and to all of your family---particularly the parents of these two individuals....Prayers are coming your way, dear Melody.
I am feeling your pain about the bushfires Melody. It is a tragic and unfathomable event. I cannot even begin to understand how those people in those affected areas were feeling, being chased down by roaring fire! While we are a fair way from any major threat, i recall on Saturday (black saturday) coming home from up the street and i said to Craig, gee look how dark and eerie looking the sky is. There was hardly a person out in the searing heat and wind and it just felt very strange. I had a very real fear then that this saturday was going to be a terrible, terrible day. You could just tell, and i even said i think this is going to be another ash wednesday or black friday! Unfortunately i was right. To listen to the abc that night and to hear everything that was happening and then on sunday/monday to see the devastation in the media was just unbelievable. It looks like a war torn area. Hopefully the worst if over and people who have survived can start to rebuild their lives. To all of the people who have lost loved ones and friends my heart goes out to all of you.
Melody, my heart also goes out to you and your family in this terrible time. Words cannot express what you must be feeling and i wish i could reach out and give you a hug. I hope that you and all of your extended family can move forward after these tragic events. Take care, love always buddy, Kate
I am so sorry for your family, Mel.
Suicide is horrible - and it is very selfish - but often people who do it are not thinking of others because they just can't.
In fact, a percentage of suicides believe they are making things better for their loved ones.
It is hard to go into the mind and know exactly what every person who attempts is thinking when they make that choice, but I know several who have because of their mental illnesses.
I truly hope that this is the end of the tragedy for your family. I truly hope that the real victims of suicide - those who love and wish they could do something before it gets to that point - could be given better tools and services.
Hugs to you.
Hugs to you and yours dear Melody. Just today co-worer had to deal with a siblings attempt at suicide. It is hard to fathom how bad things must seem to turn to that.
I know. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking of all the animals that have to die like that. And Melody I just cannot believe you had another cousin commit suicide. How awful for your family. I just don't know what to say...I'm so sorry for all of you going through that emotional pain.
I am so sorry for your loss Melody. My prayers go out to you.
I did not know your Dad was a CFA Volunteer. Those guys have been angels this weekend past. The heat on Saturday, the winds, it was just unbearable. I cannot even fathom what it would have been like if you had added the horror of such a devastating bushfire to the mix as well.
It seems like everyone I know knows someone who died or lost property in the fires. Three of our staff lost their homes.
Just so tragic, so horrible. :(
So sorry that everything is happening all at once for you. I hope you see the blue sky soon and let it warm you with happy thoughts.
It's terrible, isn't it? And just so tragic. I cry just about every time I turn on the television at the moment.
My thoughts are with you and your family, Melody.
I've been thinking of you lots, hearing the news, Melody...
I'm so sorry... for all of this!
Oh God!!! This is terrible news (about your cousin), I was shocked reading your post.
Your Father and his co-workers with the CFA are heroes, in fact everyone lending a hand right now are bloody heroes.
I'm feeling extremely sad.
We have been hearing all about the fires on the news here also...how dreadful!! I hope your father stays safe !
My heart goes out to you and your family for their losses...it really is uncomprehendable and tragic,
I remember how scared I felt during Cyclone Alby in WA in 1976 when dad was out fighting all the fires that started from lightening strikes. I was little, scared and hiding in the kitchen worried about dad. I can't even imagine how terrified all those children were during the firestorm, how worried they were for their parents in the CFA and how helpless their mothers felt at home trying their best to protect them.
Shocking fire news. Shocking.
My family had a run of suicides (cousins) a few years ago. Horrible.
Take care of yourselves.
How tragic - I am guessing his suicide was unrelated to the fires nonetheless a tragedy for his own family.
I am glad your family is safe.
My 15yr joined our local RFS (NSW version CFA)as a junior (can't fire fires till older).
I can't stop thinking too of all the men/women who were out fighting the fires.
How worried their families must have been and the ones who left family behind to go and fight fires.
Hi. I'm just catching up on your news and I find that all I want to do is give you a big hug adn a cold beer or two and lend an ear if required. I'm so sorry to hear all this awful news.
I've seen footgae of the Bushfires and have also been horrified by the loss of life (human and animal). It's just sickeneing and I don't even know the area like you do so I can only imagine how upsetting it must be for you. Thinking of you. Hugs.
Sweetie... I hope all your family and friends are safe and my heart goes out to everyone who lost family, friends, homes, pets..... it's so very tragic. I can not imagine. I have family in Australia too.....
sending loving thoughts and wishes for all concerned.
xxxxxx
Post a Comment