This photo is looking up towards our pool - very strange colour indeed...
If only the sand was washed away by a proper rain storm I'd be happy. Instead you get a layer of sand covering everything outside and god forbid you had your window open because your tiled floor would be covered in sand. You should see the state of our car!
Not everything around here has been doom and gloom however.
I had my first ever pedicure on Saturday. There is no stopping me now. I will be back for more. A couple of neighbour ladies from the villas opposite, (all our husbands work for the same company in half of this street and most of the husbands work together on the same job!), organised a couple of ladies to come out to the compound and do pedicures. I wasn't the only pedicure virgin in the group - out of the seven of us, four of us were first timers.
People think that because you are in the UAE (being a tax-free country) that life is easy. It is nice, I will say that, and Lyndon and I are close to being debt free now (besides the mortgage of course). Sure, we have bought ourselves some well deserved gifts and furniture, but there are times when we look at each other and admit that a part of us does miss our home in Trinity Beach.
We are used to being away from family and our close buddies in Melbourne but at the end of the day, we know that life is precious, time goes quickly and life plan structures are a necessity for us. We know what we are working for and why we are here. It isn't a 'forever' move. We've had a daughter who struggled initially moving from our home in FNQ (ask my parents!) and then moving here to the middle of the world. We have had shocking moments coping with her. Whilst Lyndon and I 'moved on' easily, as we always have, she struggled. But our old Monet returned to us a few weeks back and she's the happy-go-lucky Monet we have always loved and adored.
I hope the lives you are currently living are getting a little brighter too after the devastation over the past week. Things have to look up at some point or another don't they? (Melody being ever the optimist...)
9 comments:
I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
cairns hotels
I bet that sand gets everywhere! I must say though that I expected to see more sand blowing around rather than that hazy effect.
I am so glad things are looking up for you :) You sound so positive which is great!
BTW - you've been tagged but only if you want to play along!
I recently read a book about the Dustbowl during the depression - we have had a few duststorms and I can imagine a sandstorm would be as bad but coarser!
How do the paintjobs on the cars stand up?
Hey Melody-
It's been really interesting following along with your move. I'm glad the three of you are settling in.
Aren't pedicures the best?! They are my favorite treat to get myself.
I've never had a pedicure myself ... and I wonder if the state of my feet is too, um, rough to ever begin?!!
driven in a sand storm going from Los Angeles to Palm Springs. The actual sand storm itself was basically on the last 10 miles or so leading into Palm Springs. It Was Very Very Scary, let me tekk you...And it was my first and last sand storm....! I cannot imagine what it would be like to have it all in your house!
Congrats on your Pedicure! It sounds like great fun! Glad to hear the Monet is back to herself...It is a hard move no matter how you look at it, and for her....well, I can see how it would br very difficult.....!
I didn't et my first pedicue until I was 50 ! But they are addictive. It's how I kick of the summer now.
I love that haze - but not the dust and sand that goes with is!!!
We got caught in a sandstorm out in the desert one Christmas Eve and that damn UAE sand is so fine that I reckon I was still scrubbing sand from my scalp, and digging it from my ears a month later! I think thats the original reason that women where shaylas!
Things sound great for you right now, and glad MOnet is back to herself. Children are very reziliant...they adjust to alot more then we give them credit for.
I have a 5 hr jet ride away from my family for over 20 yrs, and my husband is the same..actually we joke that its the best thing for any marriage to have inlaws 4000klms away in both directions! LOL...We sure appreciate the time we are able to be together.
I have had 1 pedicure...was before I became diabetic..it's not recommended if u are. But I often went to a foot nurse , that IS recommended lol..u don't get the frills of having nailpolish put on but the feet are still very pampered, and made soft, all the rough parts are taken care off and nails are prestine and shaped when done. So I do enjoy it alot! It's much more expensive but very good for the feet lol.
Once u get your feet pampered, u can't go back to not getting it done lol.
Post a Comment