Sunday, April 12, 2009

Dubai Stay

We spent a night in Dubai on Friday.  We lashed out at on a night's accommodation in a two bedroom apartment in a high rise building on Dubai's main strip, Sheihk Zayed Road, a road that runs straight through Dubai's heart at 14 lanes.  The buildings there are magnificent.


From all our windows we could see the highest building in the world, the Dubai Burj.  (It felt a long way from our hotel room we had in Melbourne back in October, when we were excited to have a view of the Eureka Tower.)


On Friday we spent a little time in both the Emirates Mall and at Dubai Mall before checking into our room.  We spent a bit of time wandering the section of Sheihk Zayed Road we were staying on and we were in awe of the tall buildings which line the road.  

Yesterday after breakfast in a French Cafe, we drove along the main beach road in Dubai, which takes you past the magnificent Al Arab Burj Hotel.  No matter how many times we see the building, our jaws still drop when we spy it.  It is a magnificent looking structure.  There were a few helicopters buzzing around the top of the building, looking like they were going to land on the famous heli-pad but we never did see one land.  


We didn't stop there though, our plan was to have a little closer look at the Atlantis Hotel located on the end/top of Palm Island.


It was very busy there but worth the stop to go and have a little sticky beak.  Unfortunately you couldn't get inside the hotel (not even the foyer) due to it being 'for guests' only, which is fair enough because there were a lot of people milling around.  You do get to see the little shopping area, where the ceiling is truly fabulous...


There is an adventure/water park there, which looks like a lot of fun which we may do sometime down the track.  

We made our way home via the new (but rather ordinary) Dubai Marina Mall.  The view from there was rather cool though.  (I could handle living in one of those apartments.)


That was how we spent both Good Friday and Easter Sunday.  Rather memorable, wouldn't you say?  This morning Monet had me up not long after 5:30am, so I am feeling rather exhausted already.  *phew* Lucky Easter Bunny made an appearance here leaving Chocolate Eggs near the front door.  Happy Easter everyone.

To see more of my photos of our Dubai weekend, I'll be posting them onto my Flickr account soon....

9 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

This place is like OZ...from THE WIZARD OF OZ...The Emerald City...! It is like a fairy land or a city that was built for a Movie set.....I cannot get over how luxurious and opulent everything is there....This is an AMAZING place and it seems like it sprang up overnight, one day....lol!
You know what I mean, Melody?
I can undersand you all wanting to take it all in whenever you get the chance....A truly Magical Place!

Anonymous said...

Amazing. I read another blog, written by an aquantaince who hasmoved over there as well. All she seems to write about are the negatives. I so love stopping by your blog to see the up side of life. What amazing things you are seeing.

M said...

I'm thinking from the haziness in the photos that it is damn hot over there!

Happy Easter!

Red Dirt Mummy said...

WOW! It looks amazing, I'd get a sore neck from constantly looking around to see everything LOL. Love the pics.

kimbofo said...

That first picture looks like a cartoon!

Dubai is getting a lot of negative press here in the UK, specifically the working conditions of the slaves, woops, I mean labourers!

Bobkat said...

Glad you had a great Easter weekend. Dubai looks fabulous but somehow a little unreal as well (if you know what I mean?). It certainly is a city designed to show of great wealth! I will have to pop back and look at some more of your pics :)

Happy Easter to you and your family!

jeanie said...

I often wonder, looking at your pics, where the real people live?

MissyBoo said...

Sounds like a fabulous way to spend Easter :)

LBA said...

gorgy pics - is that pollution or fog/heat, that haze ?

Such an amazing adventure you are all on...