Wednesday, April 01, 2009

This Ain't An April Fool's Joke...

On January 1st this year I gave up two of my favourite beverages; alcohol and Red Bull.  Not a drop has past these lips since.  Pretty good hey?  As much as I would love to have a sip of an icy cold Red Bull on a warm morning or a 'drink' at 5 o'clock, I haven't.

Not really by choice I admit.

I went cold turkey, because I found out that I was pregnant.

I am now over 17 weeks pregnant and all is going very well.  I am seeing the Head Obstetrician at a hospital in the city every four weeks, who knows my history and monitoring me well.  My 12 weeks scan went fine (a big hurdle for me) and my bloods are normal, so everything is heading in the right direction.  

We have seen our little baby on the ultrasound screen many times now and so far, so good.  It is going to be (another) big baby, as Monet was.   

My last appointment was on Saturday just past, so I don't see my Doctor again for another four weeks.  

I have already felt a bit of movement 'from within', which is always a relief.  We were told that the baby has long legs (via Saturday's ultrasound), but I don't need an ultrasound to tell me that, I have already got a little poking in the tummy region!  

We are all pretty happy around here and the friends from our street are too.  Monet has been asking many questions in regards to having a baby (literally) and having a new little person in the house.  She was awfully worried at one stage on where the baby will sleep, as we don't have a cot.  She was relieved when we said that we will go and buy a new cot.  Bless her.  I think she'll be a great helping hand for me when the time comes.  

I am hoping I survive the heat of a Middle Eastern Summer.  I was worried enough about it, not being pregnant!  Thank goodness our air conditioning is ducted into every room and works wonderfully.  

So, that my friends, is my news I have been aching to tell you all but I just wanted to make sure everything was pointing in the right direction before sharing.  

It might also explain why I haven't posted any 'beer' shots lately.  *heehee*  As no beer photos, here is a fairy photo instead...


27 comments:

Ms Mac said...

What fantastic news! I am so pleased for you.

I gotta admit, when I read that you'd given up alcohol my first thought was, "But.... beer! She couldn't give up beer!" That's not a challenge, by the way.

Again, I'm really pleased for you. All the best for the next... *counts"... 23 weeks!

LBA said...

Yay - out in the open, hooray ! :)

Hey, BTW, MB just loved seeing real live births on YouTube, believe it or not - perhaps Monet would too ? .. they're kinda interesting, especially when watched with a child, through their eyes ( MC didn't seem to notice the gore - ugh! ).

xx
:)

M said...

Well congratulations! Great news!

kate said...

WOW congrats you guys!!! so glad to hear everything is going well. sooooo happy for you all, i will send you an email soon. take care kate

MissyBoo said...

Woohoo! I'm so pleased for you :) I did start thinking it was an April Fools joke to start with, being no alcohol and all!

Are you going to my old place of employment? That would be The Corniche.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant news! :-)

Fingers crossed for everything.

Kiki said...

Tell you what, I've nearly blabbed on F'book so I was happy to read your email just now. I've raced over to say a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS and read other's comments. Looking forward to reading this journey and I'll still be here the day you post about taking up beer and Red Bull again ;-)

Marie said...

Oh how wonderful Melody!! Congratulations!! YIPPEE!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

CONGRATULATIONS, to all of you, my dears....I am Soooo very happy for you! This is Indeed, wonderful WONDERFUL news! And I pray that everything continues going in the right direction, dear Melody....!
What Great Great News on this first day of April!

Kitten's Lost Her Mittens said...

I'm so excited for you, Melody! That is such happy news. Can't wait for more posts about it. :)

Bobkat said...

The best news! Congratulations!

I bet Monet will make a great biglittlesister :)

Marianne said...

I can tell everyone now, So happy.
Grandchild # 5 for us.
Im so glad i told my dad about the baby before he died (his great grandchild)
He said thats great Monet wont be on her own.
Nanna

Star said...

Wonderful news. I am so happy for all of you. Will the baby have dual citizenship?

Red Dirt Mummy said...

Congratulations! What wonderful news. I'm so glad it's all going swimmingly and can't wait to see some 'bump' pics.

Amanda said...

That's great, congrats! :)

Mookah Studio said...

That's fantastic news! Congratulations to all the family, but I must admit you took me a little by surprise.....

Hope all continues to go well, and look forward to reading about the journey. You sure you're not coming home?

Girl About Town said...

I am in here a lot, lurking mostly lol, but just had to post a great big huge CONGRATULATIONS, and wishing you all the best for a happy, healthy pregnancy!! So happy for you!! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations my friend that is absolutely fantastic news.

Equally good that everything is going along swimmingly.

I'll be thinking of you my dear friend
Lynne
xxxx

Deana said...

Melody I am so happy for you!!! I think that is wonderful. I always thought the hardest part of finding out you're pregnant for me would be cutting out the alcohol. I love wine in the evenings and a cold beer now and then! Yeah, this is so fantastic!

kylie said...

Congratulations, wonderful news for you all. Enjoy the precious time you have just with Monet... and start stocking up on sleep! :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice work! I'm so happy for all of you.

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

Oh, wow! That is fabulous news. Wishing you a most enjoyable next 23 weeks!

Mookah Studio said...

Congratulations to you, Lyndon and Monet. We are over the moon for you.

It is difficult to give up something you love, but it is worth it. I am also sure you will have lost the craving for it by now, the thought of it probably makes you ill.

Have you ever thought of a baby hammock fo your newborn???? We had one for Cooper it was fantastic and couldn't live without it. We had a spot in the kitchen and living area as well as the bedroom to hang it from.

Leisa and i will be adding it to our range soon. We will send you more details on it. We would love you to try it out for us.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

wonderful news Melody. I am so pleased to hear this (hugs)

Delane said...

Woo Hoo, I'm so happy for you. I was shocked with the way your post started, then pleasantly shocked when I saw the reason. Congrats to the whole family!

Alison said...

Oh Melody! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
How exciting!
I am so very happy for you :-)

Unknown said...

I started reading this and thought, 'No alcohol! What is going on?'

This is wonderful news, I'm very pleased for all of you, and that your air-con is in fine working order - you're going to need it.