Sunday, May 31, 2009

Brighton Beach Visit.

We visited Brighton last Friday.

We had visions of Brighton being rather dull.  Dark sea water, freezing winds, large pebbles on the beach.  We were right on one suspicion - the large pebbles on the beach.  I'm not saying it wasn't cold because it was rather cool, but not freezing.  And the water actually looked sublime.


I have only visited a handful of beaches in England over the years but this was my first visit to the famous Brighton Beach, about a 50 minute train ride south of the middle of London.  Monet thought she deserved an ice cream after such a journey.  Well how could we deny a request like that?


We walked along the beach front towards the Pleasure Pier where I indulged in some lovely hot donuts which went down a little too well.  *heehee*  We walked along the length of the pier and back, stopping to look at some of the 'amusements' and playing a ridiculous game of popping 10p into a slot and trying to knock off more 10p coins into the slot.  *Ridiculous I tell you*


We ended up making our way back to the town center for a delicious Italian late-lunch which included a starter of assorted breads with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, which was very yummy.  

We were back in our hotel a couple of hours later, all exhausted after our day out at the sea-side (of sorts!)  Monet and I spent the evening at my sister and her partner's place (and enjoyed the surrounds of their newly refurbished apartment) whilst Lyndon went out on the town with an old friend of ours.  

10 comments:

Ms Mac said...

I can't tell you how much money I have put into those 10p machines. (Hint- a lot!) But when I started playing them at "the Shows" it was 1p and 2p machines.

Love them!

jeanie said...

I felt REALLY cold looking at Monet in an overcoat eating an icecream!!

Mmmmmm - hot donuts - the ONLY way to eat them. Icing and crap is sacrilege, I am a traditional cinnamon girl.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOVED reading about your visit to Brighton, and I LOVED the pictures, too...Especially that one with the two chairs by the Sea....And of copurse Monet and her Ice Cream Cone....What a lovely thing to do, my dear....!

M said...

hi there! sorry to be a stranger. I've been in work wilderness.

Brighton looks a little cheerier than I imagined. Just not sure I could go with the rock thing...

Deana said...

Oh it makes me miss the beach! I love the pictures.

Deana said...

Oh it makes me miss the beach! I love the pictures.

Bobkat said...

That sounds like a proper British style day at the sea side!

The first pic of the deck chairs could be a post card and I love the one of Monet smeared in ice cream :)

Julie said...

Ohhh lucky you, I love Brighton, really cool shopping!! I used to play that crazy coin game when I was younger and my grnadparents used to take us caravaning. Back the it was 2p coins and my Grandad used to knock the side to make them all fall down. Can't do that now as they are all alarmed, probably cause of my Gramps. Congratulations on being pregnant again, what excellent news I am so happy for you all....... X

LBA said...

We didn't get to Brighton Beach either, but I am so glad ...

Because for the same price at the time, we could go to Prague, and so we took advantage, and now it is one of my most favourite places ever !

But then, there is so much of London I did not see .. I have to get back one day and revisit.

*sigh* :)

You're a very lucky lady at the moment, aren't you ? :)

MissyBoo said...

In all my many trips to the UK, and a couple of years living in London, I never made it to Brighton Beach *sigh* Maybe next time!