I have even been to my first 'bottle shop' in the UAE this week. As Monet is not allowed in I have never been in either. Bottle Shops/Off License are here in the UAE (as many may not believe, as being in a Muslim belief country where drinking is (meant to be) prohibited). They aren't 'advertised' and nor do they have big adverts displaying what's on special outside the magic doors. You are meant to have a 'liquor license' to purchase alcohol which you buy (depending on the police you buy it from at the time, you are looking at about $150 AUD for a license valid for a year.) One thing we do love about these shops is your alcohol is put into big black bags, so no-one knows what exactly you've bought.
(And no, I have not had a sip of alcohol since finding out I was pregnant.)
On Wednesday, Lyndon and I visited Hamden Street in the city, as Lyndon wanted a new pair of work boots. This is Hamden Street.
Lots of jewellery shops, bargain stores, bits and bobs shops - you get the picture. I figured I'd buy a few little UAE souviners for myself, as I hadn't since moving here. Monet was rather thrilled to find the things I bought when she returned from Nursery School in the afternoon...
I don't know how long she played with the 'Russian Dolls' but I can tell you it was a while!
Yesterday, Lyndon and I did some shopping online. We bought ourselves (and Monet) return airline seats to London town in less than two weeks time. (London is a seven hour direct flight from Abu Dhabi - beats the 24 hour trip we took to get there last year!!) Lyndon has managed to wrangle a week off work and Monet has a mid-term Nursery School break.
It will be nice to see my sister and her partner and their newly renovated apartment and stay in our favourite hotel (already booked). I won't be able to enjoy a pint or two (bummer) but I will be able to enjoy the charms London town offers...

11 comments:
Sounds like you have had a great time shopping. I went with a friend recently to Mall with her 5 year old and not having kids myself it drove me a little nuts. The child got tired and started to play up and we couldn't browse much. The sacrifices you parents make!
Hope you enjoy your trip to London! :)
Ooh enjoy London! Where are you going to have the baby?
Yep, I know what you mean about enjoying your child-free time. I love Wednesdays, when Naomi is in family daycare for the day. I go to craft and antique shops, and just browse -- while Ryan obligingly sleeps in the sling!
Say hello to London for me -- now I am very very jealous!
London! Have fun.
Love hearing about your shopping adventures - like alcohol buying - in a Muslim country.
I always loved those Russian Dolls....And my favorite was ALWAYS the teeny tiniest one.....I can see how Monet would enjoy them for a very long period of yime....
How GREAT that you are taking a trip to London, dear Melody...And that you will get to spend some time with your dear sister...Will you see Bob-Kat do you think? I hope so.....!
The shopping there is quite remarkable---So Very Many Shops! I can see how one could spend a lot of money even just browsing...lol!
Wow enjoy London, pity I cant pop down and see you!!
Hope your pregnancy is coming along good
Lynne
I love those "Russian" dolls. Just gorgeous.
Have fun in London. I do very much envy you going there.
I love the babooska dolls, and would be willing to have them shipped here at my expense plus compensation - seriously. London sounds like a great plan, and so much closer, how fun.
Browsing without child is my favourite treat :)
I love those Muslim 'Russian' Dolls !!
Interesting about the plonk!
Great post...loved reading about how you guys get alcohol...important factor for life for Aussies...haha. Cheers! :)
Post a Comment