Up and about at 6am, I made her come and lie in bed with me for a good 20-odd minutes to talk away. (Monet likes telling me about her dreams which usually crack me up!) After I showered I then had to help her get all ready for school. You must understand that I live with Little Miss Independent, so a request from her to help her get dressed was a shock!
We got to school early. Typical of me and typical of her. As Ramadan is on, all school begins at 8:30, rather than 8am, and finishes at 12:45, rather than 1pm. Lyndon arrived from work and the three of us made our way to the meeting point for all children, which is the School Gym.
Monet is in, what they call KG2, which is equivalent to the Australian Prep. What they have done at Monet's school is stagger the entry for her year, so she went yesterday (Sunday, first day of the working week) but now has two days off. The whole class begins on Wednesday. This way Monet got to know her teacher (& the Teacher's helper) a little better and make a couple of friends, rather than be bombarded with another 16 kids in her class all at the same time.
When Lyndon and I left at around 9am there were no tears but big smiles and sighs of relief. "Bye Mum, bye Dad" said Monet in a big, happy voice, sitting crossed legged on the mat. Smiling.
When I picked her up close to four hours later she was still smiling away, glad to see me, but still smiling away.
Her teacher said that Monet had to draw a picture of her favourite things during the day, and you know what she drew? Her family. Now, that was when I could have cried!
A successful day all round. She slept like a log last night and is itching to get back to school come Wednesday. So am I.

9 comments:
Good for Monet - and yay, good for you too. Another milestone reached. :)
How fantastic! Sounds like a duck taking to water. Bet it's a relief for you that she likes it, too.
She looks so grown up. Even from behind. Sounds like a great first day.
How very excitement for you all :)
I had little tears welling then, remembering Miss A's first day. They are so sweet and sometimes surprise us with the things they reveal as their favourites. Just when you think it might be a toy or movie, or even food.
Well done Monet, you look fabulous in your school uniform. Hurry up Wednesday hey!
She's getting so big! I'm glad that she's enjoying school already!
Such an exciting time for her. I'm glad she can smile her way through it.
Congratulations, both to you and Monet!
I'd love to see that pic she drew!!
And squeeee!!! on that uniform! - *die* of cuteness - ah!
Post a Comment