
So here we are, trying to get ourselves back to normal, along with a new family member.
I dropped my Dad off at the airport on Saturday evening, as he headed home to my Mum in Australia (*sob sob*) The three weeks he was here seemed to fly and we very much appreciated he being here when we needed someone (mainly to occupy Monet).
Lyndon proved what a great son-in-law he is by showing my Dad the sites and keeping him company when I couldn't. They also enjoyed a few bevvies together, as you do.
At least now we have someone who can go 'home' and reassure people that Abu Dhabi isn't the scary place I think half of them think it is, just how fast cars do go, that we do have huge, clean supermarkets, how cheap/expensive stuff is, how happy we are, what good neighbours we have, that Muslims aren't scary etc., as we know people don't believe it when we tell them ourselves.
My day finally found the confidence too, towards the end of his stay to cuddle his new grandaughter. Even when I felt crap last Thursday with a case of mastitis, he walked around holding a crying Lily whilst I napped.
Monet spent practically all day on Saturday at her friend's place, a few doors down. Even though it was her Grandad's last day with us in Ab Dabs, she kinda avoided him like the plague, and I knew why. She was already distancing herself from him - she always did that in Cairns too; acted all 'weird' on the last day of a visiting relative. It is her way of coping. I did question her on Saturday night and my suspicions were correct. She wasn't keen on him leaving... Breaks your heart right?
Sunday morning I coped quite well, getting Monet to school on time with both girls dressed and fed by 7:30, the helping hand Grandad gave getting Monet organized for me. (Monet's school is a good 15 minutes drive from our place)
So here we are, just the four of us trying to find our feet in our new family. We miss Grandad but we all know that life goes on and with a bit of luck, we'll be in Oz for a visit around Christmas time. (We are in the process of getting Lily's passport and residency visa and once that all arrives we'll be booking our tickets.)
Thanks Grandad H for everything. xx

4 comments:
I know all too well how hard it is tto say goodbye to your family. But lucky Grandad having two such beautiful granddaughters and being able to spend so much time with them! (Even though it's never enough, is it?)
It was so great that your dad was able to spend time with you (and be so helpful).
Poor little Monet :(
Glad that Lily arrived around your 500th post - that's very significant.
Glad you'll get a chance to bring your girls home for some Australian attention. It must have been hard for Grandma to stay home while Grandad had cuddles.
Just catching up on all your goings on (and shedding a few tears - of joy - at your stories).
My Dad used to always pick a fight on the day we had to go back to boarding school - it is a survival instinct, I think.
Post a Comment