Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Portobello Road, on a Sunday



Ever since blur sang about Portobello Road in 'Blue Jeans' back in the early '90s I have wanted to visit. I didn't buy any air cushioned soles but we did buy MissL the most gorgeous cupcake bib!


Portobello Road is located in the lovely suburb of Notting Hill, just north of Kensington. We walked from our Hotel in Earl's Court (with a bit of a complaint from MissM) but we got there. Lucky we got there relatively early as when we were leaving it seemed like every man and his dog were heading down the road.

Full of funky little shops selling everything from Gumboots to rock t-shirts, to fancy cupcakes to souvenirs, we rather enjoyed our stroll up the hill. Some shops had amazing fronts to them, like this one which had hundreds of old Singer sewing machines in the window...


We should have got a sausage from Banger Bros. but we didn't. Think I regret that.


In the end we were battling with the crowds and left to make our way back down to Kensingston High Street. Lunch was had in a cute fronted pub just off the High Street (roast of the day thanks!) and we walked back towards our hotel stopping into some of our favourite stores for a browse and a buy.

Of course we were rewarded with a jug of Pimm's at a pub quite near our hotel. It was well deserved. =)

6 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

Wow, how ace is that sewing machine display!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Lovely to read that you are in London, my dear....I was on Portobello Road and environs back in 1994---Mostly looking at the "Antiques"....It was great fun!

That is amazing about the place with ALL those Singer Sewing Machines....!

And I wish you had stopped at The Banger Place, too...lol!

Thanks for your very sweet caring words about Sweetie...Grom Your Mouth To God's Ear, as they say.....

kimbofo said...

Hate to disappoint, but those sewing machines are everywhere. Can't remember the name of the store, but it's a chain and they put them in all their windows.

Pity I didn't come with you. I would have shown you the pub where the chaps from A-ha used to pull pints, and the book shop that just sells cookbooks!

Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

I love that sign: "Big up your banger." How many shops offer that?

kurrabikid said...

What Fairlie said. Love that sign!

Melody said...

Kimbofo, yes pity you didn't come with us - ummm, didn't you have a bit of a hangover if memory serves me correct! =)