Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Melody's Pizza House

I'm a bit of a fan of good homemade pizzas, especially ones made from scratch. When the choice of Pizza places are around here are limited and sometimes a bit dodgy (I'm not a fan of Turkey bacon, nor Beef bacon!) it is best to make your own.

I have numerous recipes for pizza bases and I've made about a dozen different types - ones using the bread maker, ones by hand, ones using the mix master (with dough hook). But time and time again I come back to this recipe by Australian chef, Karen Martini. It is tasty, simple and it hasn't failed me. Yet. It also makes the right amount of dough for like 3 big pizzas.

My last batch of pizzas yielded about 4 medium pizzas (MrL and I could only eat 3 of them) and 2 small pizzas (for the girls - Monet likes to decorate those ones). Sometimes I use my pizza trays (if wanting 3 big pizzas), other times I free form and place on semolina laced alfoil - works a treat and doesn't stick.

Here's a photo of the ones we gobbled up the other night, before a light layering of '4 Italian Cheeses' were added.

Top L-R; Tapanade Pizza, Tandoori Lamb
Bottom L-R; Roasted Vegetable Pizza, Salami and Anchovy Pizza

Look nice eh?

I can tell you that these pizzas were honestly the best ones I have ever made and I've been making them for a few years now.

My trick is to make the dough early - like a good 8-10 hours before you are actually going to eat them. The dough rises nicely over quite a few hours to make the base more higher and fluffier than if you just leave it for an hour (where it will still be quite tasty, but a thinner base.) I also roll out the dough about 90 minutes before I'm going to decorate - this way they rise some more but easily pat down with your fingertips. And thirdly, keep your toppings simple and put a few splashes of olive oil over your toppings before adding a light layering of cheese.

*nom nom*

3 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

They look divine!

Marianne said...

Yummo

Mookah Studio said...

Homemde pizza is on the menu here tomorrow night. Dough done in the bread maker and who knows what for topping. One thing I do know though, regardless of topping choice, it will be yummo!