Sunday, June 26, 2011

De-Construct, Abu Dhabi style

After MrL taking Monet to the Doctor's on Saturday morning (bloody ear infections - I tell you, they'll be the death of me!), the four of us drove into Abu Dhabi city to purchase a couple of things and to go out for lunch.

I thought I would share with you a couple of observations.  As you know, I am married to someone who works in construction, so our eyes are always peeled for new buildings, infrastructures etc., but only here in the UAE have we ever seen building being torn down via this method;


We always gasp when we spy this type of action happening.  It is so dangerous and when the buildings are 'deconstructed' this way, it really means they could actually collapse at any moment (though I doubt they do).  This building above, would've probably looked like the building below, a couple of weeks ago.


All boarded up and ready to be torn down to make way for a brand spanking new building.  I'm not sure what happens to all the people who once called all those apartments home.  There are some real shocker buildings here in Abu Dhabi and in a way, I am glad they're pulling down the eye-sores!

MrL made his purchases on needed items and then we headed to our favourite restaurant at the Beach Rotana Hotel located next door to Abu Dhabi Mall, (see location at the end of post), Prego's.  It's Italian and we've rarely been disappointed when we've eaten there.

I cannot go past my favourite dish on the menu (it seems I now order it every. time.)  A spinach and ricotta ravioli with a butter, basil and hazelnut sauce.


Monet cannot go past her favourite pizza.  (It is a rare restaurant here that has pork items on it's menu and even rarer to find a proper pizza with out the pork substitute of beef or turkey ham!)


After our filling lunch, we browsed Abu Dhabi Mall (we both noted that it really has improved over the past couple of years) and finally made our way home by late afternoon.

2 comments:

Kitten's Lost Her Mittens said...

Wow, seeing that building coming down really is sort of alarming!
And the lunch sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

Seems like eating is a good pastime, I would like both of those meals yum! As for the building about to fall I'd be staying well away.....