Saturday, July 02, 2011

A Sand Storm, A Butcher and The Three Sheikhs

We took a drive today to the Port section of Abu Dhabi. Of course the store we wanted was closed (we had a sneaky suspicion it would be, being a Friday (equivalent to a Sunday) and also it too being some public holiday (a Prophet?). But anyway, we drove down into the city through a mad sand storm. Disgusting. Not sure what the visibility was today, but surely it was close to no more than 50 metres. Yuck.


Down at the Port, we finally found the 'Butcher' section - yeah, not for the faint hearted I'd say, nor for vegetarians and probably not an ideal place for a woman with two daughters to be.  So I sent MrL in to find a particular South African butcher we had been told about.  And, once again, being a Friday, he was not open so MrL will visit him perhaps during the week.  (Apparently he sells Corned Silverside!)  Whilst we waited in the car, I was fortunate enough to see another butcher/helper/assistant picking his toe nails outside our car. *belch*  I'm actually pretty 100% sure he has nothing to do with the South African butchery so we're on the safe saide there. lol

Hey nice legs reflected in the window. ;P

There is a section of the Port called 'The Mina Center', which houses a few odd stores and a massive Co-Op supermarket, probably the cheapest supermarket in the whole of Abu Dhabi.  One thing I really like about the Center is the massive portraits of the Sheikhs that greet you when you walk into the 'old school' place.


I've been wanting to share with you those portraits for ages and now I have.  They are 'everywhere' in this emirate and I've told MrL that when our time comes to leave, I am buying all three portraits and they will be displayed in our abode back home.  ;-)

The guy on the left (Sheikh Khalifa) is the current ruler of the country and of the Abu Dhabi emirate, the middle guy is his father (Sheikh Zayed) who died quite a few years ago but they say he was the true founder of Abu Dhabi and had the vision of what the city is today, and the guy on the right is Sheikh Mohammed, the Crown Prince. It is really confusing who is who, who does what, who is whose son, who is in charge etc.,  I get confused who is the ruler of the Emirate and of the UAE but I do know I have the names right! lol

Another Friday. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is all very interesting A.U.E. I'm so glad we have been there to see all those amazing buildings,sands and sea,
people,etc. You are going to have so many memories.

Carly said...

Visibility is bad in Dubai today too. I can't even see the Burj Kahlifa and my hotel window is only about 150 metres away! I am glad you mentioned sandstorm as I had no idea what it was :)

Missy Boo said...

I love it when you do these posts. I feel home sick for Abu Dhabs sometimes :)