I decided today, that after school pick up, I would take the girls up to the Barron Gorge Hydro center.
Last Thursday evening, the area between Port Douglas and Cairns received close to 250mm. Traveling to school on Friday, the Barron River, which we have to cross to get to school, was flowing very fast. My aim was to see at least some of that water flowing fast.
I was a little disappointed that the river wasn't actually flowing like we had seen before, but it is still spectacular to see.
And to think this area is about a 15-20 minute drive from where we live.
I love the fact that the river helps makes electricity with the capacity to power thousands and thousands of homes.
Just down the river from the Gorge, is Lake Placid. There used to be a little bar/cafe on the waters edge four years ago but now it is all boarded up and looking a little sad. And to be honest, it is kind of a little 'spooky' down there when there is no one around. But the girls still loved it.
And when you take a step back, it really is beautiful.


2 comments:
Pretty Amazing!!! As compares to your visit in 2008, it looks mild...But, I'm sure, 'in person' you get the real feeling of the power of the water....!
Wonderful pictures, Melody.
Looks great.
Hey, you changed your font! I like it.
Post a Comment