Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Cockatoos!

There was a bit of a racket going on outside the other evening as I sat under shade sails with the girls. Then we spied them! There was (at one point) eight yellow-crested cockatoos in some kind of tropical wattle tree next door. Noisy birds are those cockatoos, but they are spectacular to see in the wild.


There were about another dozen or so flying about but they settled in trees further on...


There was one really scraggly "I've-had-a-hard-life" elderly cockatoo.  They're pretty revolting birds when they aren't covered up with their white feathers.  That's him below, having a stretch.  (Actually thought he might cark it up in that tree, but no. *phew*)



I'd welcome them back any time if it wasn't for the noise they make.  Sheesh.  =P

5 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

How amazing to see all these Beautiful Special Birds! I hope you do see them again---and during the day....I would love to see their coloring...!

Ms Mac said...

Ahhh, we used to have 20-odd cockatoos come and visit us every weekend on our balcony in Sydney. Thankfully, Mr Mac and I have awesome powers of sleep and after a couple of weeks we managed to sleep through their racket. They were gorgeous. Frightened the life out of me the first time I saw them, mind. They were HUGE!

Kiki said...

Hello, hello.
We have cockatoos in clusters as well, is there a name for that? How about black cockatoos, they're pretty special and I've heard a theory on them from a spiritual associate. I'll need to ask her what that was as I dismissed it at the time but hey, anything is possible as we well know.

What sort of birds did you encounter in the UAE?

Star said...

Definitely not something we would see here in Philadelphia .

trash said...

I miss Australian birds.