A lot had changed since the last time I had visited Mossman Gorge. I looked at MrL and said "hey, this is new" as the road veered into a newly built vast (but busy) car park and visitor centre. Last time I was here, the road continued ahead, through a narrow road to an extraordinarily tight, busy car park. Now we were greeted by a brand spanking building.
Mossman Gorge is part of the Daintree National Park and it looks like someone has thought of the idea to try and make a buck out of it. There is a visitor shop with tourist items, from rulers to stubby holders and everything in between. The cafe was a buzz too. And to actually get to the Gorge you could walk the two kilometres there, along that dangerous road, or catch one of the Shuttle Buses that blared the local radio station 80's hits. (We thought that perhaps there should be at least a bit of a commentary about the Gorge on repeat.) The shuttle bus was $12 return for a family - and considering there were at least 50 families there at the time we were, I am sure that the new facilities will be paid off in no time!
Another change we noticed was that there was no more slippery little narrow tracks. Now in it's place was newly constructed walk bridges.
The Gorge is still beautiful, though on the day we visited it wasn't bright and sunny and the water looked a little murky than what I remember it.
In all honesty, I felt that some of the magic had disappeared from Mossman Gorge. I'm not sure if it was because of the feeling of being shuttled via bus to the Gorge or the fact that it wasn't like I remembered. But the girls enjoyed it and I guess if you are a visitor of the area to the first time, you'd be impressed.
Pretty sure MrL and I were more impressed with the construction of the gutters on the visitor centre...


2 comments:
I can understand you being disappointed by the changes, but I was thinking it sounds much safer to walk around with that Bridge---especially for children. It all looks quite amazing, I must say.
Wow, there was nothing there last time we were there.
Post a Comment